What after chirping inside the incubator?

edb

Songster
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Piedmont, South Carolina
I"ve got my first hatch in my incubator. Its been 20 days and there is already a chic making noise inside. when do I open it to remove the chics? Are they ok for a day after they hatch inside the incubator?
I have my light, feeder and waterier set up waiting but I don't know how long to leave them in before extracting them.

CONGRATS!!! That is so exciting.
wee.gif

Don't worry they can go 3 days without food and water so a day or 2 is no problem.

Congrats!!! Great JOB!!!
thumbsup.gif
Chicks are fine with out food and water for upto 3 days! I leave mine 24-48 hours then remove. I take the bator into a HOT STEAMY bathroom and open the bator if I still have unhatched eggs inside. Opening the bator at regular room temp can cause any un hatched eggs to shrink wrap the chicks in the membrane inside the egg. I get the bathroom really HOT with a small room heater and crank the shower on HOT! When filled with steam I turn off the shower but leave the heater on! I open the bator remove chicks, shells, and add water if needed. Then replace the bator and wait until atleast day 26 before doing an egg topsy to see why the others didn't hatch. Do the topsy very carefully!!! Some chicks may still be alive, just stuck! Of course if there are any obviously bad eggs I will remove them as well to avoid contamination. Congrats again!

Good Luck and God Bless!

WOW! Thats great advise! I never thought about the steamy bathroom, I'm keeping the heat up but I know some eggs were a little old but I had the room to try them. I guess I'm like every one new to this, I expect them all to belly up for some reason. These that are out are already growing fast!

Back
Top Bottom