What age do barred rocks generally start laying?

My barred rocks have had dark red combs for two weeks now and still no eggs. They are around 5 months old now.

My BR had dark red comb and waddle for weeks. It wasn't until the comb was so large it was flipping over that she laid her first egg.

Their combs are definitely large, but not to that extreme. This is them today.

Incidentally, just found our 2nd egg in the middle of the coop, not in the nest boxes, and my BO Goldie was standing by it.

Thanks for the info everyone! I have my first flock of 4 Rhode Island Reds; 3 Barred Rocks and 2 Gold Lace Wyandottes. They are 20 weeks old and NO EGGS so far. They have played with/moved the decoy eggs several times in the past few weeks, but that's about it. Also, only about half of them have truly red, well-developed combs. I started them on layer crumbles and added oyster shell when they were about 16 weeks. Hoping for first eggs soon, but Hurricane Irma will probably have a negative effect on them.

@antoniawarren since she was a late summer chick, she may wait till spring. Mine did last year. The days are getting longer now, so keep those fingers crossed.....:fl , good luck!

Dec. and 23 degrees, mine is about 6 months old now (I think)
and NOTHING, her comb still small and pink, no red yet. She looks big, healthy and happy but... nothing yet.
My barred rocks are 18 weeks and 2 have no comb development and 2 do. The two that do are visibly wider than the other two girls and I'm just watching for them to start squatting. They are becoming very interested in the nesting boxes and 3 of my other breeds just started laying and they are acting the same as they did close to their first egg so I think those two will start soon. The other two look like it will still be awhile.

I have 3 barred rock hens and they were hatched last year early May 2017 and they didn't start laying until end of December 2017. So they were around 30 weeks old I believe.

Here it is August 2018 and they still lay little pullet size eggs.

Mine aren't the greatest but maybe I got a bad strain or line.

Back
Top Bottom