What age do Chicks get their wing feathers?

Yeah, I'd agree, they look like they are in their third week.

About the tail feathers not growing in. We have one of our Barred Rocks (4 1/2 weeks) who still has just a stubby little tail. Some of her secondary flight feathers are a bit strawy and she has a little thin spot on each 'shoulder' but she is totally fine and holds her own with five other chicks (3 BR and 3 RIR). Sometimes their feathers just come late or different I have gathered. Nothing to fret over.

I also am new to the site and have 5 new chicks - 2 Barred Rocks, 1 Blk Australorp, 1 Brahma and 1 RIR. We estimate them to be 2 1/2 weeks-3 weeks old. They look very much like yours.
The Australorp's top feathers are looking a bit "rougher" than the other's. Do the chicks go thru an akward stage that looks like this? Just got the Blk Australorp 2 days ago and she might be a few days older than the rest, not sure.... Is there any area where the different stages the chicks go through are posted - timelines or photos? If so, this might help with Dez's and my questions.

Hey! I have two 5 day old chicks and the first one that hatched started getting feathers at 3 days old, the second one I had to rescue due to being abandoned and it started getting its feathers at 4 days old! The chicks are about 8 hours apart of being hatched! When the first one was hatched she stayed with it, but abandoned the later one. I think that was due to her not sitting on the egg when it hatched. Any way it is doing great at the house with me! I will try to post some pics of them!

Got these liitle guys today, how old do you think?

Thanks for the information. I was wondering how old mine are as well but from the posting here I can judge mine are about four to five days old. I didn't know they got wing feathers so quickly.

My chicks started getting feathers on their wings the day after they hatched. I'm not sure if that's normal, as it's my first time owning chicks. I just wanted to add what my experience was.

Back
Top Bottom