What age do Chicks get their wing feathers?

Dez

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
Kissimmee
I use to have 2 pet chickens (they where barred rocks) when I was a little girl and always wanted some more. Now that we are in our own country house with 2 acre of land I felt now was a good time to get a few pet chickens.
We picked up two little chicks, a RIR and a Ancona. They are all fuzzy except for their wings and their little tail feathers. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how old they are? They where sexed as females by looking at the wing feathers

They sleep indoors for now. I actually wrap them up in a blanket at bedtime and they stay snuggled in there all night. They follow me around the yard when I take them out for 'play and scratch" time. If I do have to leave them unattended outside for a second I put them under a laundry basket to keep them out of trouble. I never leave them alone more then 5 min under the basket.

It may be silly but I make momma hen sounds to get them to come near me when they wander a little far.. They don't tend to ander though seem pretty content scratching and pecking around in the grass as long as I am near them.

I feed them Starter Feed

I have a photo of them but I don't know how to post it on here

to post a picture, click on uploads (in the top blue bar, in between "Recent Posts" and "Messages")
click browse, then choose your picture, and click submit
wait for it to load
it will give you two links under the picture, one that says thumb, and one that says image. copy the text from the "thumb" bar into your post when you want to post a picture.

Last edited:
they start getting their wing feathers pretty fast, mine are 9 days and the females have 3 rows of wing feathers on them already plus little tails.

welcome-byc.gif

You have to post a few more times (I think you have to have at least ten posts) before you can post a picture. I know that my chicks started getting wing feathers only a couple of days after they hatched. The tail feathers took a little longer. Hard to tell how old they are from your description. How old were you told they were when you got them?

Last edited:
I started noticing little wing feathers when mine were 2 days old. they come in pretty fast.
When did you purchase them? Most places sell them when they are 1 day old. You can also look at the comb to try to determine age.

I just got them Saturday at a trade show that featured all kinds of pets from lizards to dogs.... I was too excited about picking out my chicks I didn't even think to ask how old they where until I had gotten them home and set up in the baby bin.

I am keeping them in a large tub (oversized plastic tote kind) I have shavings for the bedding and a stick in there if they feel like roosting. I have a ceramic heater on the top that I turn on at night for them. Its pretty warm here in the day (Florida) so I don't leave the heater on in the day time.

I don't think Im allowed to post pictures because Im a NOOB...

Maybe this link will work..?

http://s192.photobucket.com/albums/z175/figg2112/?action=view&current=chicks.jpg

Cute! Yours look a little older than mine who are maybe a week old, bought from the co-op.

Make some misc posts like I am doing, and we won't be noobs for long!

So cute, and helpful too! My Golden Comets were brought home on Tuesday night from Tractor Supply and we have some wing feathers but no tail feathers. I had been wondering about the age of mine as well. Seeing yours, mine are much less developed so probably only a day or two when I got mine.

I love the picture, they are sweet looking!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom