what age do ganders go sterile?

tielie135

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
100 mile house, BC, Canada
i have a gander, not much info on him but i was told he was probably at least 17 when i got him, ive had him for over 2 years now. was at a poultry swap today and saw a goose so i bought her for him. i know i shouldnt expect goslings at his age but is there any chance? both are pure african dewlap, hen is 3.

a bit of info on the gander, he was from a rescue situation and lived with banties his whole life, when i took him in he was so thrilled to see ducks for the first time in his life and he loves them so much, he will even adopt and raise ducklings. ive seen him breed with ducks so that part is good but he has never seen another goose in his life so it is very interesting watching him trying to figure out what she is. i think the 17 years old is accurate as he gets arthritis in the winter and the banties that he was with were the oldest freaking chickens i had ever seen.

That is awesome you adopted a gander that old.
As for fertility I have no idea I guess when breeding season comes around again next year you'll find out. Be sure to let us know.
My gander was 5 yrs old when I brought home a female goose for him. Since he had been hatched and raised by Muscovy it took him a bit of time to accept his new mate. But he did once breeding season started up.

And pictures we always enjoy pictures.

Kudos to you for caring for your 17yo gander and getting him a mate! I have read that breeders get rid of their ganders around age 6, because of a belief that fertility drops around that age. But, in my experience, ganders breed just fine into their teens.

The majority of flock is at least 10 years old and breeding season has not changed much at our place. I have a 12yo dewlap toulouse gander who successfully fertilized his mates' eggs this spring. I also have a pair of 14+ yo toulouse/african boys that also successfully fertilized their mates' eggs.

While the fertility may not be as high as a 2-3yo gander, I would bet your gander is not sterile and capable of producing goslings.

My gander had an injury to his stuff and ever since then he hasnt been and hes 12 now out of like 12 eggs i only hatched 1 in 2020 nothing last year.

i have a gander, not much info on him but i was told he was probably at least 17 when i got him, ive had him for over 2 years now. was at a poultry swap today and saw a goose so i bought her for him. i know i shouldnt expect goslings at his age but is there any chance? both are pure african dewlap, hen is 3.
I wouldn't give up and say he cant. as far as Dewlap African's go I would consider him middle age. Not a old man. She may be the instigator at that age. Kinda depends on his past if he was well cared for ect. Good for you though they are some of the sweetest birds out there.

I wouldn't give up and say he cant. as far as Dewlap African's go I would consider him middle age. Not a old man. She may be the instigator at that age. Kinda depends on his past if he was well cared for ect. Good for you though they are some of the sweetest birds out there.
its still funny to hear about geese being sweet because he was the meanest thing i ever saw, running at me and attacking me at every given chance being bitten and wing slapped he is good now but still so strange to hear. he was neglected at his previous home, he lived with bantams for the whole time, but when his owner died he was left for about 5 years with the son throwing food and water in there whenever he was by but never cleaned. they were dumped on my neighbor who couldnt keep them and so i took him and a few of the bantams (whitch all died due to old age and health problems caused by living conditions even with medical care, although one did live almost a whole year somehow) watching him see ducks and feel grass for the first time was so wonderful and now this other goose has made him so happy. he has made up for being such a poop when i got him, been over a year since i have been bitten.
he definitely has arthritis in one of his legs that only shows up during winter but otherwise he seems healthy, he was underweight when i got him though for obvious reasons but put it back on quick and has held it.

its still funny to hear about geese being sweet because he was the meanest thing i ever saw, running at me and attacking me at every given chance being bitten and wing slapped he is good now but still so strange to hear. he was neglected at his previous home, he lived with bantams for the whole time, but when his owner died he was left for about 5 years with the son throwing food and water in there whenever he was by but never cleaned. they were dumped on my neighbor who couldnt keep them and so i took him and a few of the bantams (whitch all died due to old age and health problems caused by living conditions even with medical care, although one did live almost a whole year somehow) watching him see ducks and feel grass for the first time was so wonderful and now this other goose has made him so happy. he has made up for being such a poop when i got him, been over a year since i have been bitten.
he definitely has arthritis in one of his legs that only shows up during winter but otherwise he seems healthy, he was underweight when i got him though for obvious reasons but put it back on quick and has held it.
There amazing at adapting to there environment but with geese it takes some time to win them over and for you become the dominant in the flock. Thats a true respect relationship but they still need reminders from time to time. Thank you for his sake.

Back
Top Bottom