What age do males sexually mature?

Jul 6, 2020
I am getting a dozen eggs a day, but my males are not producing foam. They are 8 weeks old today. When will the males be ready to do their jobs?

If you're talking about coturnix quail, it's usually around 6 weeks, but it's later as they days get shorter. They are a lot less sexually active during the fall/winter unless you give them supplemental light. If you want them to lay eggs and be active, they should be getting 14-16 hours of light/day.

If you're talking about coturnix quail, it's usually around 6 weeks, but it's later as they days get shorter. They are a lot less sexually active during the fall/winter unless you give them supplemental light. If you want them to lay eggs and be active, they should be getting 14-16 hours of light/day.
I have cortunix and a light on them for 14 hours a day. My hens are laying, but the roos aren't riding.

I have cortunix and a light on them for 14 hours a day. My hens are laying, but the roos aren't riding.
Give them a bit of time. They might be shy and not doing the deed in front of you. The best test would be to open up a few eggs and look for the "bullseye" on the eggs. It's hard to see in the picture, but there will be a ring around the spot if the egg is fertile.
0403201259a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom