What age do males sexually mature?

South Bay Beach Bum

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
I am getting a dozen eggs a day, but my males are not producing foam. They are 8 weeks old today. When will the males be ready to do their jobs?

Nabiki

Quail Geek
Premium Feather Member
May 15, 2019
Sonoma County, CA
If you're talking about coturnix quail, it's usually around 6 weeks, but it's later as they days get shorter. They are a lot less sexually active during the fall/winter unless you give them supplemental light. If you want them to lay eggs and be active, they should be getting 14-16 hours of light/day.

South Bay Beach Bum

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
If you're talking about coturnix quail, it's usually around 6 weeks, but it's later as they days get shorter. They are a lot less sexually active during the fall/winter unless you give them supplemental light. If you want them to lay eggs and be active, they should be getting 14-16 hours of light/day.
I have cortunix and a light on them for 14 hours a day. My hens are laying, but the roos aren't riding.

Nabiki

Quail Geek
Premium Feather Member
May 15, 2019
Sonoma County, CA
I have cortunix and a light on them for 14 hours a day. My hens are laying, but the roos aren't riding.
Give them a bit of time. They might be shy and not doing the deed in front of you. The best test would be to open up a few eggs and look for the "bullseye" on the eggs. It's hard to see in the picture, but there will be a ring around the spot if the egg is fertile.
0403201259a.jpg

Top Bottom