what age do roosters start to crow?

Ah, then he's an Easter Egger. And a boy.
smile.png

Me too! I have 5 Ameraucanas: 3 blue and 2 black. They are 11 weeks old. I've been trying to determine if they are girls or boys but have no idea yet. What would be some signs to look for. None have pronounced combs and I'm thinking this breed doesn't get them. Thanks!

All of these are 4 1/2 weeks old and supposed to be pullets.

These two are EE's:
Here is contestant #1:
47098_dsc_0283sm.jpg

#2: Can anyone tell me what color he/she will be??
47098_dsc_0289sm.jpg

47098_dsc_0287sm.jpg

This is one more I'm curious about. This one is a SLW. But her/his comb seems to be developing faster than some of the others:
47098_dsc_0286sm.jpg

i have an Easter Egger roo who just started to crow. He was hatched on 21st June and made his first hilarious attempt yesterday and belted out a proper cockadoodledoo just now. At 6 months old, that pretty late.

For those wondering EE vs Ameraucana:

The easiest thing is that Ameraucana should be white-skinned, hence slate or white legs. Yellow legs indicate lineage of a yellow-skinned bird, meaning that the bird in question is not a descendent of pure Ameraucana. Green is a result of slate pigment over yellow skin, meaning green-legged birds cannot be true Ameraucana.

Ameraucana SoP has a finite number of accepted colors, found here: http://www.ameraucana.org/. Birds outside these color classifications are known as EEs, despite being true bred Ameraucana and having appropriately colored legs.

snowburton8, both of your girls are a variant on a very common female EE coloring. There are also characteristic male color patterns, such as splashes of red on the shoulders. I'm sure others can chime in with more guidelines as to how to sex these birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom