1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age do spurs start appearing?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Angiebubs, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I have a couple roo's who are aprox 13.5 wks....one is crowing-another that Im still trying to determine m/f is making a crazy croaking noise. (pretty sure its a roo-thick legs, tall but no long tail feathers like the others and personality is like the hens. None of the 4 suspected roos even have bumps for spurs yet. Is this normal? When do the spurs start developing?

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I believe it takes eight months to a year for the spurs to be developed. As for when they first start appearing I think it's pretty early on.. I've heard veterinarians can remove them as chicks.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  3. poultrycrazy

poultrycrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    :)
    I am pretty sure chickens have spurs when they hatch they are just very very small and if you look close you can see them

4. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    They have tiny little nubs as chicks and those start developing at 6-8 months or so. HOWEVER, some females have spurs so it's not a reliable indicator of gender. In fact, I have two Welsummer pullets with bigger spurs than my EE cockerel has.

5. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I can see bumps just like thegirls-just they haven't started developing at all...sounds like its still a few months out. Thanks for the responses!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by