What age do turkeys roost outside?

Are they safe from owls after ~5 months old? I have removed the head of an adult male before....I would not describe it as "click". Owls must have superhuman jaw strength.

Trying to figure out what to make for turkey nighttime house...I take it they don't like walls. Maybe a chain link dog kennel with a roost?
Most are pretty safe by the time they are 5 months old. Owls are capable of clipping off a human finger with one bite.

Some people make a 3 sided lean-to for their turkeys.

I believe that @Huntmaster uses something similar to what you are describing.

Most are pretty safe by the time they are 5 months old. Owls are capable of clipping off a human finger with one bite.

Some people make a 3 sided lean-to for their turkeys.

I believe that @Huntmaster uses something similar to what you are describing.
Yes my turkeys always roost outside I have all open pens. In my big open pen they have a 3 sided building with roost that they will not use they want to be outside. So now all my pens are open fenced in pens with roosts some with covered roost some without. As long as they have shade and some sort of wind blocks from severe weather they are fine. This is a example of one of my smaller grow out pens to give you an idea of what they like I use 2" knotted bird netting to cover roofs of my pens. @SarahGfa This one has covered roosts.
IMG_0067.JPG
IMG_0244.JPG

@Huntmaster thank you for sharing the nice photos of your pens. It seems that turkeys are easier to build for then chickens. No coops,, no insulation, no ventilation, no weatherproofing,... just big wire pens, roost and a cover. These pictures have been inspirational.

@Huntmaster thank you for sharing the nice photos of your pens. It seems that turkeys are easier to build for then chickens. No coops,, no insulation, no ventilation, no weatherproofing,... just big wire pens, roost and a cover. These pictures have been inspirational.
Don't forget that a shaded area is essential.

@Huntmaster I wanted to ask, how many birds do you have per square foot do you have in your pens? My turkeys have access to 200 acres or more (public land), but barely travel 50 feet from the coop.

My main pen for my breeder hens kept separate is 100' x 50' I try to keep it down to about 12 birds no more than 15 in that pen. My 50' x 50' I keep it around 8 birds. But I have over 1/4 acre pen that I keep my toms for breeding in to try give them a lot of space to limit fighting. Plus my separate grow out pens and breeding pens, half that building in pic is my enclosed brooder with run around 2 sides of it. Then I have a couple acre pasture for everything to free range in.

Back
Top Bottom