What age do you introduce a perch?

Sassafras

Songster
9 Years
Jan 16, 2011
N.H.
My chicks are only about 5 days old and one of them already jumps on top of the Brinsea Ecoglo then up to the top of the side support for it and jumps off! It is about 6" high at least. She is crazy and I am sure the others will be trying it soon too. Is it too soon to put in a low perch, like 4 " so they can practice jumping? I just don't want them running into it. They are already flapping their tiny wings and racing to the rest of the peeps at the other end and scaring them. I am using a large wire dog crate wrapped in cardboard so they have quite a bit of room.
As soon as I get my camera back I will post pictures. Of course they are super adorable. They even let me pet them without running to the other side of the brooder.

I just looked this up on this forum the other day. Some people say that they put it in at one week. Others put a roost in on day one, and the chicks can use it whenever. Most posters said they just use branches from outside.

I checked because i found two of my 2 week old EEers on top of the feeder and waterer, the kind that is a quart jar upside down on a metal base. My chickens freaked out when i put the branches in, but they calmed down after a while.

I just built a new brooder Saturday and used a branch from outside at a perch, and they are only 5-7 days old. None have used it as of yet, but I have a rape going up to it so they can use it when ever their ready.

I gave mine a perch at 2 weeks; just some scrap wood. I threw it out and gave them new this week because there was a lot of poo on it.

I started out when mine were about a week old and I used a small branch with a bend in it from outside and just laid in their brooder with the bend up and then when i put them in their big box i cut a tobacco stick the width of their box and it's a good 3-4 inches high and everyone gets on it even the bantums and a few even sleep on it

I place a tree branch on the floor of their container as soon as they are placed in their new home. Chicks are surprisingly smart! They seem to have excellent vision, and learn quickly, so I don't worry about them bumping their heads. I do notice the chicks need a few different types of toys or objects to climb on and around to keep from being bored.

I use a rabbit cage for a brooder and have branches attached for them from the very beginning. They figure out how to get up there as soon as they have enough wing feathers.

I put the roost bar in the brooder when the chicks are about a week old. They figure it out pretty quick. Within a day, 2 or 3 of them were sitting up there, feathers all fluffed out, happy and content. I still have one that prefers to sit on the brooder floor. I'm sure she'll come around eventually.

Back
Top Bottom