What age do you start worming chickens?

That's a question I have, too. Anyone have an inkling of an idea??
hu.gif

I don't know. It seems that some are not worming at all. I sure wish I had a good microscope and could do fecal testing myself. I don't want to worm needlessly. I do add garlic to my water though. Supposed to help with worm load. I'd think no worms until chicks hit the ground? The worming question is always changing, in other livestock too. Now, the trend is to NOT worm very often and to worm for specific worms only, and never all at once to keep wormer susceptible worms alive and not breed super worms. HenZ (just a tiny bump)

Ours have been in the coop and run for about 5 wks. We haven't seen any worms yet, and I don't want them to get them. Garlic in the water? How much? How often? This helps?

I wish someone would answer. From what I've read when you see worms in the poop there is a very heavy worm load inside. I don't want to get to that point. I want to be proactive and head off a problem BEFORE it gets to be an issue.

I did not worm anyone in the flock for almost two years. Then, I did it because I saw a worm in one rooster's poop, no other signs. Once a week, I usually give them chopped pumpkin seeds in their scratch or in oatmeal, which is a natural wormer, but not what you use if you have an actual infestation. No recipe for the pumpkin seeds (and sometimes buttermilk) in the oatmeal, just hulled unsalted ones I get at the grocery store. Chop 'em a little and throw them in there, couple handfuls or so.

I deworm my chicks at 6 weeks then again at 10 weeks of age.
I use DE in the feed on my layers as needed. About 2 or 3 times a month.

I read on here that you can put cayenne pepper in their feed for worms and I believe the lady said it was 3 tablespoons to 1 pound of feed every so often. From what I understand chickens do not have heat receptors but worms do. I have never done the cayenne pepper thing but I know several people that do and they say its good. I think if you get a massive problem that you will still have to go get the wormer meds though. I will look and see if I can find the thread that I am referring to.

Here is an interesting worming post. I can't seem to find the exact one I am looking for but maybe this will help:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=213065&p=1

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom