1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what age does rooster start to crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by farmnut, Sep 23, 2008.

1. farmnut

farmnut Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2008
    I have a 12 week old BR cockrel a few days ago I heard ahorase sound from him and nothing since

2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had two bantam rooster that started to crow between 8 and 9 weeks. My meat birds roosters will sometimes start to crow right before they are processed at 8 weeks.

I would say yours is overdue in the crowing department.[​IMG]

3. bantymum

bantymum Chillin' With My Peeps

12 weeks is right on target, depending on whether he has competition, my silky boys are 3 mth old and have just started to crow having a few days break in between.
    Im sure he will fire up, he is just practising and possibly embarrased!

4. ScottK

ScottK Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2008
    Redmond, WA
    My Ameraucanas made initial noises at 12 weeks - so I knew they were roos - but didn't really get into it until 15-16 weeks.

5. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    My buff rock and buff orpington roosters both started crowing on the same day at 15 1/2 weeks old. My barred rock rooster I adopted hasn't crowed yet and he is about 22 weeks old.

6. Jayare's Chicks

Jayare's Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2007
    Florence, Alabama
    I had 1 little cockerel that started crowing at about 3 weeks old. All of my others didn't start till much later. Sometimes it just takes a while.

Jayare

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by