What age does the peeping turn to clucking?

My BAs started clucking some of the time between 11 and 12 weeks. Their run is about 75 feet from my back door and deck, and they cluck loudly when they see me come out the door. They still talk baby talk when they are getting treats. I think they are scamming me!

My EE started clucking first at 10 weeks. At 11 weeks now the BO is clucking and the SS clucks half the time. The other two are still peeping and are 9 weeks old.

Comptoons: that's funny, my 4.5 week-old EE is also the first vocalizer. Even from week 3, she would sometimes let out kind of a wa-wa-wa-wa-wa-wa warning sound and everyone would freeze. She is the alpha - maybe that is why.

My chicks are 11 weeks old, several different breeds. The barred rocks started clucking last week. The RIR's are starting to cluck. The Ameracauna's, golden comets, and SS have not started clucking yet. Four of the chicks are roo's and none are crowing yet. So just give it time.

I wish I had written it down. I cracked me up when that happened. One day they all peep, next day one hen says "brrrrrrraaa". It was like a teenage boy who's voice changed. Cracked me up.

Thanks for all the great responces. I guess I am just eager to hear the real clucking. One of my BSL is making a weird gurgling sound like she is clearing her throat for the big cluck.... It does remind me of my 13 yr old son and his voice changing LOL. I expect them to start soon. Thanks again I am just so happy to have my chickens they are such a hoot!!!
big_smile.png

Mine still mostly peep they are 10 weeks. They make a cluck-cluck noise when I grab them. Do roosters cluck too? They aren't tame enough to come to me even though we held them lots. So I have to grab them daily to take them out to their run. I always hold them until they are calm and pet them.

Mine are 9 weeks old, and I have one that clucks full time, one that clucks about 75% of the time, and the rest cluck here and there but mostly still cheep. I love their clucking, so I can't wait for all of them to do it. I love the way my one cluck-coos at me when I give him treats. Melts my heart!

Back
Top Bottom