What age for Orps to lay? Also, pics needed please....

I've got a small flock of BO's, 7 pullets and a roo named Brewster:
Sept08mybirds026.jpg

Acouple pullets w/Peppermint Patty the RIR pullet and two of the 11 Gold Lace Wyandotte pullets:
Sept08mybirds021.jpg

They haven't started laying yet, they are 5 months old now.

Last edited:
My 6 buff orpington hens have all started laying. The following is how old they were when they laid their first eggs.

18 weeks 4 days
20 weeks 3 days
20 weeks 4 days
22 weeks 3 days
22 weeks 5 days
23 weeks 6 days

Quote:
Hey chilisweet:

When my BO looked like yours she wasn't laying...her comb and wattle got a lot redder and bigger before she would lay. I don't want to discourage you or anything but my guess is you may still have several more weeks to wait before you get the golden egg. I have tried to find pics of mine before laying and don't have them. I still need to get pics of her post laying. My guess would be another 3-6 weeks.

Just give it time...some things in life just can't be rushed. Trust me I have tried. They are just like teenagers...they will never listen to reason and the harder you push the more stubborn they get.

I also would like to update you at let you know that 2 of my 3 BO are now laying. I hope the third one lays before she is 30...I don't know how much more waiting I can take.

Last edited:
My buffs where closer to 24 weeks before they started laying. Bonnie was 27 weeks. I have some blue orps that began laying at 20 weeks. There really is no magic number when they start laying. These are large birds and they take longer to get started. 18 - 22 weeks is the average start age for production layers. Every chicken is different and every cycle is different - just like human women. You can never really guess when one will start to lay.

So can anyone guessimate how old she might be by her picture? 5 months old perhaps?

And thank you for the compliment on Miss Orpy..I will tell her tomorrow. I know she will like it!
wee.gif

I got 6 BO hens in my order from cackle this year and all of them were laying by 20 weeks old..I had barred rocks that were laying at 16 weeks this year..its been a good chicken year for me..Im happy
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom