What age hens start laying?

I have 5 Wyandotte chickens 10 weeks old, trying to determine if they are roosters or hens. They are a riot. Love bread. Run for the front of the cage when I come in the garage wanting food. Building my chicken hen house and run will post photos soon. Love raising chickens.they are spoiled.

I have recently got one brahma, one golden laced wyndotte, and 2 RIR. They all are around 7 months, the wyndotte and the brahma came to the handler at the same time so he's not sure...thinks they might be about a month younger. Of course, the brahma is the biggest of the ladies...t are the wyndotte is the smallest. The RIR are the bossiest! LOL The RIR combs are redder than the other two but I have not seen any sign of any of them laying. Since I have had them only a week, I realize that they may also have to readjust to their new coop and to being a group. Sure wish I had a chicken crystal ball!! LOL

I think silkies take a long time.  That being said, I've always kept hay in the nests.   About a week before I found the egg, I put the wooden eggs in there.

WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF PUTTIN THE WOODEN EGGS IN THERE? I'm new to this and have seen people put light bulbs and balls and wooden eggs in but never knew why.

Fake eggs and golf balls "show" the hens where you want them to lay. Hens seem to like laying in nests that already has an egg or 3 in it, so the fake eggs also make the nests more attractive.

At what age do hens usually start laying eggs? We got our 25 Isa browns as little chicks on April 15. They've grown a lot, but we're expecting it to be several more months before they start contributing to our breakfast. - Stephanie

I had gotten some golden buffs from Meyer. I purchased mine in February 2018 but didn't lay till September. A big reason is the Texas heat in the summer. I think they lay earlier than others. I would say 4 months at the earliest but closer to five months. They are great layers and the egg size is bigger than many others.

Think its hugely down to breed i read alot before mine and as everyone says around 20 weeks mine are just for eggs as thry for my babies so they recommended golden comets they start laying earlier around 16 weeks and they did started laying last week i still get excited everytime i go check xxxx

Back
Top Bottom