What age is best when introducing hand reared chicks to older flock.

Sorry, I don't 100% agree with this. In my experience, cockerels and roosters are impatient for pullets to reach sexual maturity and often do not wait. When I had a mixed flock all the same age, it was horrible. The cockerels at about four months became so demanding that I had to separate them into a bachelor pen. The little pullets were running from them screaming during the day, and in the evening they were terrified to go into the coop, as the cockerels would go inside first and wait to jump on them as they came in. They were like muggers, to put it mildly. They all ended up in the freezer to give the girls some relief. The pullets did not start laying for about another two months.
I’ve tried the smaller area that only the chicks can get to with my polishes and my Baby Margo got stuck in there all by herself and couldn’t get out!🤪 She squatted all the way down to her hocks and shimmied!🤪 I had to help her!🤣

Attachments

• 20210914_144952.jpg
    20210914_144952.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 8
  • 20210914_144941.jpg
    20210914_144941.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 8
Hmm. Maybe cast it? I’ve seen some people do that. They just cast their foot into the right position. I’m not sure if he’s too old or not though!🤷🏽‍♀️ You might get more help if you create a separate post in the emergency section.

Yes she did. My 2 youngest roosters and my white hen. Not her eggs though.
I don't have a rooster so my hen always broods eggs that aren't hers and I have had so many people that are amazed a hen will set other hens eggs. They are really confused when I have a hatch of several different breeds. I tell them she pre-adopts them when she sets on the eggs. I love having a broody hen raise the chicks. Mixing in with the flock is always so easy!

Back
Top Bottom