1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What age to eat Layer feed?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Roxannemc, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    My chicks are 3 months old now.I have older hens too ARe the chicks too young to give the layer feed ?
    I heard the calcium will damage their kidneys i think it was if they are too young
    When will they be old enough if they arent?
    Thanks ahead

2. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    yes they are to young, you are supposed to give it to them when they are lay there first egg!
    Right know they should be on grower pellets!
    Hope all goes well with your chicks!!! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Layer feed has no magic. It does nothing to make them lay. It is essentially just Grower with supplemental calcium added which is needed only by laying hens. They alone expel calcium with each egg they lay. A pre-laying bird cannot expel this added calcium which if fed long enough, can result in gout and severe renal issues.

Many folks never buy Layer. They feed a Grower or Raiser or All Flock product and provide a calcium source on the side.

Layer is formulated for the convenience of the flock keeper. 12 weeks is a bit early for Layer. You're better off waiting until you actually see eggs.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  4. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    They are on medicated grower crumbles
    Thanks

5. Roxannemc

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Thanks for the information.I run out of one or the other and want to sub until i get to the store but i have been afraid they are too young to do that..Glad i waited...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by