What age to eat Layer feed?

Roxannemc

Songster
7 Years
Mar 30, 2012
SE Missouri
My chicks are 3 months old now.I have older hens too ARe the chicks too young to give the layer feed ?
I heard the calcium will damage their kidneys i think it was if they are too young
When will they be old enough if they arent?
Thanks ahead

yes they are to young, you are supposed to give it to them when they are lay there first egg!
Right know they should be on grower pellets!
Hope all goes well with your chicks!!!
jumpy.gif

smile.png

Layer feed has no magic. It does nothing to make them lay. It is essentially just Grower with supplemental calcium added which is needed only by laying hens. They alone expel calcium with each egg they lay. A pre-laying bird cannot expel this added calcium which if fed long enough, can result in gout and severe renal issues.

Many folks never buy Layer. They feed a Grower or Raiser or All Flock product and provide a calcium source on the side.

Layer is formulated for the convenience of the flock keeper. 12 weeks is a bit early for Layer. You're better off waiting until you actually see eggs.

Last edited:
Layer feed has no magic. It does nothing to make them lay. It is essentially just Grower with supplemental calcium added which is needed only by laying hens. They alone expel calcium with each egg they lay. A pre-laying bird cannot expel this added calcium which if fed long enough, can result in gout and severe renal issues.

Many folks never buy Layer. They feed a Grower or Raiser or All Flock product and provide a calcium source on the side.

Layer is formulated for the convenience of the flock keeper. 12 weeks is a bit early for Layer. You're better off waiting until you actually see eggs.
Thanks for the information.I run out of one or the other and want to sub until i get to the store but i have been afraid they are too young to do that..Glad i waited...

Back
Top Bottom