What Age to Let Chicks Walk Around in Garden

Henchickkk15

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2016
Hello everyone!
I am new to chicks, although I have had chickens before, but I have a question about letting them wonder around supervised. They are about 5 days old now, and I am wondering at what age, if I am watching them, can I let them walk around in the grass and in the garden a bit.
Thank you!

Usually in the 80s. I wouldn't let them walk around if it was 60 degrees. I am just trying to see if it is okay to do that. Like can their stomachs handle it.

I would say yes their stomachs can handle it. As long as temps are good.
Mom chickens bring their chicks out and 2-3 days old and they forage everywhere she goes. And eat whatever she eats. 4 days old mine were running around with worms because they are with their mother. Out eating grass and whatever they want :)

I would say yes their stomachs can handle it. As long as temps are good.
Mom chickens bring their chicks out and 2-3 days old and they forage everywhere she goes. And eat whatever she eats. 4 days old mine were running around with worms because they are with their mother. Out eating grass and whatever they want
smile.png
agreed

You are getting great advice.

At the age of your chicks, your biggest worry is going to be weather related...well putting predators and those types of threats outside the box for a moment.

I'd just add, make sure that they have access to some sort of grit. At that age a scoop of play sand in the area they will be exploring should be fine. They will instinctively pick it up as they explore, but if you want you can peck at it with your fingers, and if they are accustomed to your presence, they'll run over to see what you are "pecking " at, and pick it up then.

It's fun to babysit chicks, you'll have a fun time.

These birds are bigger than what you've described. But whenever I take my little ones outside, I always take a food hopper and waterer with us. Set it up in the general area where you'll be watching over your little charges.

If they want to move to another area, I just move the waterer and hopper right along with the flock.

Last edited:
Yep, perfectly fine.

Even if the temps were cool, it's still okay as long as they can get back to warmth real quick. Heck, I've seen chicks less than a week old out in the snow. When they get cold, they hurry back to the warmth.

That picture was taken in April when this batch was 5 days old. The temp was about 65 degrees F. They run down the ramp and explore and when they get cold, they run back up to press their backs against the heating pad. As soon as they're warm, they run back down the ramp. . .because, you know, they have important chicken things to do and they can't do them when they're stuck hanging in a brooder.

If they go outside, do sprinkle some sand or grit on the grass so they can peck at it. The things they might eat in the yard need extra digestion, and grit helps with just that.

Kudos to you for wanting to expose your baby chicks to a natural experience. It's so much better for them than being kept in a brooder box for weeks on end with just four walls for stimulation.

I wrote an article about outdoor brooding if you want to learn all the advantages of letting your chicks outdoors to learn to be chickens. It's linked below this post.

Back
Top Bottom