What age to put chicks in with grown chickens?

DonnaBelle

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2009
McIntosh County, OK
I have 22 chicks (barred rock, buff orpington) 5 weeks old. They were raised in a coop inside the chicken house so the other grown chickens could see them. At what age would it be safe to put them in with the other chickens??

Thanks,

DonnaBelle

You're off to a good start by allowing the adult birds to see the young chicks but not touch them......I personally don't integrate the different ages until they are very close in size. I've found that the older, larger ones will just "beat the tar" out of the smaller ones.

I like to allow them to free range together first, (because the babies can escape the bigger ones), and then I would separate them again during the evening......Then after I see them getting along pretty well, they all go in together at night after free ranging.

Good luck!

Sharon

Most suggest not putting them together until the chicks are at least close in size to that of the adults. Some divide the run w/chicken wire to give the adults time to get use to the chicks. Other's closely monitor and try to introduce them sooner. If you try it, make sure there are plenty of hidey-hole areas for the chicks to get to, to get away from adult birds who might go after them. Also make sure there are more than one feeder and waterer available.

Thanks guys for your responses. They do have a nice little outside pen they can run out in now, so I'll wait until they get bigger to put them in with the other chickens. I have a huge electric poultry netting pen area for the adult chickens. They have lots of cover, a huge plum thicket they hang out in just waiting for unsuspecting bugs to wander into. LOL

DonnaBelle

I literally just integrated my 10wk olds with the 1 yr olds....did FANTASTIC. I was nervous but (like you) they had constant access to eachother via fencing. Always talking and checking in. Did just great! Very happy. Cant wait till EVERYONE is laying.

You're off to a good start by allowing the adult birds to see the young chicks but not touch them......I personally don't integrate the different ages until they are very close in size. I've found that the older, larger ones will just "beat the tar" out of the smaller ones.

I like to allow them to free range together first, (because the babies can escape the bigger ones), and then I would separate them again during the evening......Then after I see them getting along pretty well, they all go in together at night after free ranging.

Good luck!

Sharon
THANK YOU for that info! I was wondering the same thing and hadn't even thought about that with the free ranging first. GOOD idea and I'm going to have to try that and see IF I can get these juvies as I call them, back in the pen since they've never been out of it. lol Mine have a separate pen inside the pen where the grown ones are and they have never got to free range before. They should enjoy that IF I can get them to go out the gate. lol

I had the same question. Good advice, mine have seen each other from day one. One group is about 14 wks the others are 6 wks. I want to intergrate them soon. The younger ones are getting a little big for the separate run I built. They are australorps and growing fast, but still smaller than my ee's. I may try (with supervision) too let them into the same run. Would it be a good idea to distract with treats or will that cause more fighting???

My easter eggers.

My Australorps.
I have one ee roo and one australorp roo(8 wks old)

Well I turned the grown ones outta the pen yesterday and let them get on away from the pen and then turned the juvies as I call them, out into the run. Then opened the door to the outside and some ventured out. Well here comes the girls wide open and here they go fighting them right off the bat. UGHHHH standing up on tip toes almost fighting at them. They're almost the same size as the grown ones. Anyway after a few minutes of that I just turned the juvies back inside. It's much too hot to get all worked up right now. HOT
tongue.png
Was just going to test them and see how they did and if they did well then I was going to leave em and just check back every now and then on them. Once they started that, I was like oh well needless to say I can't stay out in here in this heat 24-7 so they'll have to go back inside.

Now my question is, how far do you let them take this? I don't know if they're trying to hurt them or just doing the pecking order thing?
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom