What age to sell ducklings?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TheDuckWoman, Jun 3, 2012.

1. TheDuckWoman

TheDuckWoman In the Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    Cambridge, England
    Sorry I ask so many questions on here - I'm such a newbie! Okay I already mentioned my duck getting broody in another thread. She lay 8 eggs, but this morning I had the pleasure of removing a very smelly dead one [​IMG] So we're down to 7. I can't keep them all as they're already inbred (explained in length in previous thread) and I don't know how many males I'd get which means I'd have to get more females etc etc. So I'm going to have to sell some, if not all. When and how should I take them from my girl, and would anyone (not on here, I mean in general unless you live in England *hint hint*) be interested in taking a boy baby, as girls are obviously more wanted? I'm really protective over any animal especially mine, and I'd want to know that they would take proper care of them. (So many people think you can just release them back into the wild, when they weren't even wild to start with... [​IMG])

*edit*
    also I'd find a way to keep them if I absolutely had no choice but it would be a lot better/healthier for them to be sold.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Most sell them at any age, it isn't like a mammal where they nurse, so day olds in not uncommon. Screening potential buyers is a good thing, but remember you can't tell someone else how to raise the bird, or make demands on them. Selling birds is rough, you have to be able to let go and realize that once sold they are not yours any longer, and the new owners are now in charge.

3. TheDuckWoman

Apr 22, 2012
    Cambridge, England
    I was more concerned about removing them from the mother - it almost feels like I'm just using her as an incubator. Would she be distressed if her babies were removed so young? Yes, I guess I just have to let them go and trust the new owner to do a good job :)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
  4. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    We remove hatchlings without issues.

5. TheDuckWoman

Apr 22, 2012
    Cambridge, England
    Thank you :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: