What age to switch feed?

Kylea0219

Chirping
Feb 10, 2015
Varysburg, NY
I have 15 8 week old chickens. 3Silver laced wyandottes 3 Dominiques 3 Buff Orpingtons 3 Easter Eggers and 3 welsummers. They are still eating starter feed. What age do you switch their feed to grower? And What age after that do you switch to finisher? Then what age do you switch to layer? Thanks

So many variables. The only thing to cause a pause would be feeding layer to pullets that aren't at POL. The normal cycle is starter for around six weeks then grower till they are ready to lay (POL) usually 18+ weeks. The difference between starters and growers is the percentage of proteins and medication if you are using one of those. You can keep them of a starter till they are finished growing, that has been done by many who can't get a grower. I would finish the starter so I don't have any waste that way and then the grower.

Last edited:
You can keep them on starter until they start to lay.. Then give them layer feed. I am assuming by the breeds you have that you want them for eggs. The grower and finisher formulas are for meat birds in my understanding. This way you get the best and fastest results from raising meat birds. The different feed vary by the amount of calcium, protein, and other to a smaller amount. It is best not to give feed high in calcium 4%, such as layer feed to non laying chickens. Starter feed is about 2% or so. May vary by brand and supplier. The higher calcium feed to non layers is bad for their kidneys and liver. Scientists much smarter than I came up with those conclusions. It does not mean that if one of your chickens accidental ate some layer and it wasn't supposed to, that it was destined to die soon. It is good to offer crushed oyster shells on the side. Chickens will take and eat these crumbled stones and utilize it as grit also. They will not overdose on oyster shells. At least I have never heard of such a case. Look into giving your chickens ALLFLOCK . as an alternative . This way you can feed laying chickens and those not laying all the same feed. It is about 1.5% calcium. You should be giving them the oyster shells if using ALLFLOCK. * 8 weeks is most likely no problem to switch. Use up your STARTER FEED with no worries.
WISHING YOU BEST
thumbsup.gif

As 100 poultry keepers this question and you'll get 101 answers, lol.
Really, there is no set rule, timeline, etc at which you must make this change or that -- other than do not provide a bird the excessive calcium of layer ration until that bird actually needs the calcium (meaning is producing, shelling and expelling eggs) as the excess calcium can actually do more harm than good prior to it being needed. IF one chooses to feed layer, make that transition from starter or grower at the time the birds begin to lay. Really , it's about finding what works for you/your birds. Starter is simply a very small/fine form so that it is easy for day-olds to consume, grower is a bit coarser (and sometimes has a slightly different protein content) than starter for older chicks - likewise with finisher, often minor tweaks to the nutritional breakdown and possible to the form of the feed as well. The differences, nutritionally, between the three are negligible imo.
That being said, you can actually feed a grower ration for the entire lifespan of your birds - as an example, I use Flock Raiser. Every bird I have, from new babies to established layers, eats this ration. I simply provide calcium in the form of free choice oyster shell for the actively laying birds to take as they want/need.

Perfect thanks! I was a crazy researcher about chicken breeds and the kinds of coops. I looked up every possible think that could go wrong with chicks. Then forgot to look up that in between stage. Thanks for the info.

Super helpful. I needed this, too! The folks at the feed store recently urged me to start them on the laying crumbles etc. But I have silkies that are now 5 months old and black australorps that are only 12 weeks old. Of course the australorps are already way bigger than the silkies, but we knew that would be the case.

But my chic's fairy godmother, whom has been doing this for like a century, said to stick with the starter food until the australorps are at least 18 weeks. I'm fine with that. They love it.

And oh the ask 100 chicken people their wisdom and you get 101 recommendations, LOL so true! <3 ;-)

Thanks, all! I really appreciate the guidance.

For years now I've been buying 1 bag of starter to start with and then just switch to all flock (18% protein) after the first bag is gone. Your birds will do fine on this diet and no worries about calcium. If I have it I quite often keep them on all flock till everybody is laying and then switch to layer.

Back
Top Bottom