What age to wean kids

lilshadow

Songster
12 Years
Jan 8, 2008
Milaca, MN
I need to know when I should start weaning my kids. They are 6 weeks old, and I was told to have them weaned by then, but not to sure.

i didnt think they left home until they were 18...wow youre lucky!!...6 weeks!!
tongue.png

The boys that I sold went to their new homes at 8wks. They were still nursing a bit at that point, but I knew they were also eating a fair bit of hay, grain if it was offered, and drinking water so I figured they would do fine, and they have!

They should not be weaned before 8 weeks, and longer is better. The only time I wean that young is when it's a buckling that is staying intact and acting alittle to mature if you know what I mean.

I let sale kids go from 10-12 weeks depending on the kid. For keeper kids, if they are dam raised I leave them on for atleast 12 weeks, usually longer (I may not separate til I rebreed their mom, so like 7 months, as long as they don't seem to be pulling mom down). If they are bottle raised I may start the weaning process as early as 12 weeks, or not til 4 months depending on the kid!

I know different breeders have different idea or methods, but I think most can agree not before 8 weeks! And even though I think that's alittle young, I respect a breeders descision to do it then, but I strongly disagree w/ anyone that would wean earlier.

Redhen, only 18? Hmmm...me thinks I will show this post to my 30 year old!!
roll.png

I sold mine at 8 weeks. The buyer wanted them at 6 weeks, but mom was doing a great job and I didn't see any reason to rush it. The buyer did want what was best for them and used to time to come over and let them get used to him.

i have only had 2 bottle babies, and i weaned them at differant times...my Pygmy doe i weaned at 3-4 months and my Alpine Wether more like 5 months.. but the last month was only night time feedings before bed for comfort....*he was a big baby..
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom