what age will roosters turn MEAN?

GoldenSparrow

Songster
8 Years
Mar 11, 2011
What age will roosters turn mean?
I have a very mean rooster, and I just found out I have two 2 month old roosters. there nice now, but when will they turn?

Not all roosters are mean, I have a Light Brahma, Cuckoo Maran and several bantam roosters. None of them are mean. Some will turn mean, some will not. It depends on the rooster and how much time you spend with it.

Ridgerunner

What do you mean when you call him mean? Is he attacking you or other people? Is he brutalizing the hens? What exactly is he doing that you find objectional?

I can not turn my back on him, He attacks people like CRAZY! he loves his hens, but is quite rough with them. He has bits that kill, my arms and legs are full of SO MANY scars. If hes out, and I go to the coop I have to bring a broom with me.

I have tryed everything to get him nice. and yes I mean EVERYTHING!
tongue.gif

ChickieBooBoo
I dont think it matters how much time you spend with them as a baby. He was my first rooster, I hatched using an incubator. this guy was one spoiled rooster. he use to follow me every where, and even come in the house!

I love him so much, but now he is down right MEAN!!
somad.gif

these new roosters, are his sons so I was wondering how long I have before they turn into there father?​

Last edited:
Quote:
X2.

We can usually tell by the time they're 7 months old. Having a few roosters makes it safer as they will break up each other's fights. But if there's only 2, or three roosters, two just might fight til they die because nobody intervenes.

In each group, we've had sweetiepie roosters, and stupid mean roosters. Its like people, dogs, cars and everything else; some just are. Some are not.

This might be a long shot for you but one of my bantam wyandotte roos was quite the feisty little guy, until I seperated him and his hen. I kept him apart from her for about a week, put them back together and the aggression returned so he is by himself once again and she is in the single ladies coop, he has calmed right back down. It might help to try this but I havent had many aggressive roos, so far they have only been possesive over their ladies as is natuaral in animals.

My rooster was a Rhode Island Red that turned really mean. Original six chicks...four hens and two roosters. The two roosters were always fighting so we got rid of one. The other then had four hens to himself. He was absolutely beautiful, he protected his hens as they free ranged every day on the farm with no problems. Even the Guineas from next door came over to eat bird seed from the feeder and inevitably two of them would spar with him...he always won. Well, he started coming at my husband and I when outside...then it was everytime we went outside...then he started attacking the neighbor and his wife...that is when we knew he had to go. I would carry a metal rake with me when I went outside...he and I spared daily and I refused to back down. He eventually had to or else! We sent him to a farmer with lots of chickens and hens. Hope he got his comeuppance!

At sexual maturity is when most roos get aggressive. A lot of how "mean" they get depends on how they're handled and your response to them.

Back
Top Bottom