What aliment testing should be done during a pre-introduction isolation?

Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I bought five 6 month old Chanteclers in January of this year. I isolated them for a month but did no formal testing. I have recently discovered I have worms in the flock. I cannot say the two are related but I cannot say they are not.

I never thought about this until faced with the reality, as with so many things.

What is the appropriate formal testing regime before introducing new members to a flock?

Thanks!

My thoughts have been steered by my worm situation for sure.

Have been doing external exam and treat; also watchful but sometimes one does not even know what to look for...

Thx for reference, had not seen.

Have been doing external exam and treat; also watchful but sometimes one does not even know what to look for...
Here's my 'bug check' notes;

Google images of lice/mites and their eggs before the inspection so you'll know what you're looking for.

Part the feathers right down to the skin around vent, head/neck and under wings.

Best done well after dark with a strong flashlight/headlight, easier to 'catch' bird and also to check for the mites that live in structure and only come out at night to feed off roosting birds.

Wipe a white paper towel along the underside of roost to look for red smears(smashed well fed mites).

Good post about mite ID by Lady McCamley:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/my-chicken-has-mites-now-what.1273674/page-2#post-20483008

Back
Top Bottom