1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What am I? day time predator.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ThiefPouter06, Aug 25, 2011.

1. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    I hunt around 4-6 oclock. From the feather piles I strike from the edge of the thicket as the chickens walk by and drag them a good distance inside before killing them. (2 acre square thicket of cedars, briars and stuff.) I took one full size sumatra roo, and two full grown standard wyadnotte one day and tried to take a full grown brahma two days later. I was scared off when a human heard the brahma cry and I let her go, I outran and outsmarted the dog she turned loose on me.

My guess is a fox feeding its young. I dont guess there is any real way to protect my free ranging hens? Foxes can climb fences correct?

2. Gullygarden

Gullygarden Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    Or a dog. You can use a large electric mesh run and move it as needed. I had to do that because of my neighborhood dogs. google electric chicken mesh. I have a picture on my byc page. The solar charger makes it easy.

3. ThiefPouter06

ThiefPouter06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2008
    green co. KY
    Thought of that but dogs would probably have left peices and they wouldnt have dissapeared.

4. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Depending on your location a coyote(s) could be responsible.....

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

I would suspect fox or coyote as well. And yes fox can get over fences very easily, actually coyotes are quite good at it too. A good fence with strategically placed strands of hot wire is a very good deterrent. Very hard to protect free ranging chickens unless you have a good LGD. Once the predator has discovered such easy pickings it will return until it has wiped out the food source.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Fox, coyote, bobcat all similar snatch and run predators.

7. Dutchess

Dutchess Chillin' With My Peeps

Fox got mine, 4 in two days, and it was exactly as you say, strikes from the edge of a thicket/woods leaving only a small pile of feathers.[​IMG]

8. hawcer

hawcer Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2011
    Put a GPS chip in a unwanted chicken...wait a day after it disappears and then go hunting. J/K...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by