What am I doing??? New chick momma

KGalvin

Hatching
Apr 1, 2020
I have wanted chickens for years and on a whim today I bought 6 pullet and 2 bantam chicks (must be the quarantine getting to me!). I have no idea what I am doing but luckily my boyfriend does. Still, I don't know who is worried more about them ... me or my Maltipoo Bouncer who wants to keep checking on them ... he just sits and stares (Bojangles is shown in pic but now he just ignores them).
20200401_171133.jpg
20200401_142813.jpg
i
I don't think I'll get any sleep tonight!

Do they have enough heat? Is it too hot? Why do they keep spilling their water all in their bucket? Is the bucket too small? So many questions!!!

lol!!! I am new here too - just posted for the first time today and got chicks a week ago - (I’ve never even wanted chickens but the quarantine got to me too and now we accidentally have 7 and love them!) So I am no help - but we are in this together! Your puppy is precious ... and curious :)

good luck and congratulations!!!

How big is that bin? It looks small but exact measurements would help. For 8 chicks I'd want to see at least 8 sq ft of floor space for the first few weeks.

That heat lamp is a fire hazard - do NOT trust the clamp to hold, you need to secure it by using the hanging hoop on the back of the lamp as well (I had mine clamped, hooked by the power cord and hung by the hanger in back, and it still made me worry).

Also given the size of the heat lamp to the bin, I worry that there's too much heat without relief. A brooder should have warm spots (i.e. under the lamp) as well as cool spots roughly 10 degrees cooler, or more. If you do not have a thermometer then go by the chicks reactions - if they're clumped directly under the light, they're too cold. Spread as far away as possible, they're too hot. Comfortable chicks should be active and moving between warm and cool, and not peeping in distress.

Also within a week those chicks will be popping out of that box. If you don't already have a cover made then fashion one out of wire mesh such as hardware cloth, and secure it to the top. You can cut out the majority of the plastic lid there and replace it with wire too, if that's easier for you.

Do you have the coop ready? If not, better get cracking!

lol!!! I am new here too - just posted for the first time today and got chicks a week ago - (I’ve never even wanted chickens but the quarantine got to me too and now we accidentally have 7 and love them!) So I am no help - but we are in this together! Your puppy is precious ... and curious :)

Thank you! I read your post, too. We are kindred chick Mommas!
Good luck to you, too!

How big is that bin? It looks small but exact measurements would help. For 8 chicks I'd want to see at least 8 sq ft of floor space for the first few weeks.

That heat lamp is a fire hazard - do NOT trust the clamp to hold, you need to secure it by using the hanging hoop on the back of the lamp as well (I had mine clamped, hooked by the power cord and hung by the hanger in back, and it still made me worry).

Also given the size of the heat lamp to the bin, I worry that there's too much heat without relief. A brooder should have warm spots (i.e. under the lamp) as well as cool spots roughly 10 degrees cooler, or more. If you do not have a thermometer then go by the chicks reactions - if they're clumped directly under the light, they're too cold. Spread as far away as possible, they're too hot. Comfortable chicks should be active and moving between warm and cool, and not peeping in distress.

Also within a week those chicks will be popping out of that box. If you don't already have a cover made then fashion one out of wire mesh such as hardware cloth, and secure it to the top. You can cut out the majority of the plastic lid there and replace it with wire too, if that's easier for you.

Do you have the coop ready? If not, better get cracking!
Oh, lordy! I am in over my head! Thank you for all the great advice! I was up several times checking on my babies. I have thought everything you have written! I was worried they were too cold so I put the lid half on and when I checked on them they all had their little wings fanned out a bit so I removed the lid ... now there all huddled but not too close. BF says they typically sleep in a little huddled together. I do think I need something larger. May have to put them in the garage in a larger container. I am looking at coops ... afraid to buy one if they didnt make it through the night!! So far, so good!

The good news is that with the quarantine, you will have plenty of time to research on BYC! They do need more space, a secure heat lamp, a place to get away from the heat, and some type of brooder cover; I've used old window screens or baby gates laid across the top so they get ventilation.

I'd suggest gently handling them early on so they get accustomed to you and your voice. Messes, whether it's spilled feed and water or poop, are inevitable.

I've brooded chicks in a spare bedroom and gave them "field trips" around the room while I cleaned their brooder to get them used to seeing me as something besides a giant set of threatening hands that came out of their sky to "attack" them. I started by blocking off a small portion of the room and letting them walk on top of my legs and lap so I was less scary.

Welcome to the group, and be prepared for plenty of great advice. People here are always willing to help!

Back
Top Bottom