What am I doing wrong? (Broomstick method)

Sussex19

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 3, 2022
NSW Australia
Hi all
We keep mostly Light Sussex and as we let them raise chicks we obviously need do deal with excess cockerels (plus they taste better than shop bought ones)
I've been using is the broomstick method as it's the only way I'm really comfortable with, however I've had a couple of problems.
The main thing is just the head coming of which isn't a big deal but twice (in total I've done five) the head came out from under the stick before it was killed, meaning I had to quickly do it again.
Any suggestions?
I want to keep going with it and just learn to do it better.

If you hold the bird in two hands like a big hammer and whack it's head on a post or table it will be instantly knocked out if not dead. Then you can take your time with the broomstick or decapitation or whatever.

Thanks for the idea, though I'm not sure if I'd be confident enough, worried that I might hit it in the wrong spot.
What I like about the broomstick is that the only thing I need to actually hold is the legs and when it does work it's very quick.
I think I'll keep trying for now and try something else if don't work out.

Thank you, I think I'll get there eventually, I just can't work out why some times the head comes out from the stick but other times it works perfectly!

The main thing is just the head coming of which isn't a big deal but twice (in total I've done five) the head came out from under the stick before it was killed, meaning I had to quickly do it again.

You probably aren't standing firmly enough on the broomstick.

I find that those slips happen when the stick is up under the balls of my feet so that things move as my weight shifts when I'm pulling up.

Wear workboots with heels instead of sneakers, get the stick into the notch just in front of the heel, and center your weight on the stick to hold it firmly.

Also, be sure to have the bird's neck and body fully extended before you give that final sharp tug so that you're not moving through so long a distance that your weight shifts too much.

It could be that, I haven't really noticed where my are feet, apart from that they are on it of course!
All so, I read some where that you should have depression in the ground under the neck, should one do this in your opinion?
I would have have thought that might increase the chance of it happening.
As far as the ground is concerned I've usually chosen fairly hard areas.
Thanks for all your help :)

Back
Top Bottom