What am I doing wrong (graphic)

EeyoreD

Songster
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Attica, MI
I have a coon problem that I didn't know about until it decimated most of my flock. I got a live trap and when I went to dispose of the one this morning it just would. not. die.

The first shot was through the eye. It sat up on its hind legs and raised a hand up to its eye like "WTH?". I shot it again in the forehead. It then started thrashing around. I shot it twice more, at least one of those got it in the head again. It was still moving a bit when I left but hopefully that was just contractions or something.

I keep reading people saying "Oh trap it and one shot to the head while in the trap". So... what am I doing wrong? I know I need to get rid of these predators but I don't really feel like I need to torture them in the process.

Sounds like it was one stubborn raccoon, but I will advise that the best way to cure a predator problem (as long as it's not an isolated incident) is to predator-proof your coop (and in the case of free range chickens, a lot of people employ electronet or get a guard animal). Sorry I can't give more advice on the trapping and killing process, I've gotten similar advice in the past about how simple it is to kill them with a shot through the head. Out of curiosity, what are you using?

I agree! They will be back & back till your birds are gone or they know they can not get in. Also a Great Pyrenees will cure that problem FAST. Look for a rescue dog.I got one a month ago and no more problems.

Thanks. In addition to the trapping I've also better secured the flooring of the coop and will be putting up electric fencing today.

I'm using a 22 with 22LR hollow points.

Do you just leave the dog out there all night? Tied up? I have a dog but she's an indoor girl (and a runner and chicken chaser). So get another one for the birds?

I have one dog on a tie out right in front of my coop & my Pyrenees runs free. They just know what to do.Its crazy. They wanna protect your place and nothing else. Every now & then they liked to be petted,but for the most part their mind is on the job. I woke up one morning to 2 cyotes in my courtyard of my house. I was sooooooo mad! I ran out butt naked after them! A coon is very smart,too smart. I am a former zoo keeper & I can tell you they are highly inteligent. Problem solving. They will test every part of your coop.They will not come out during the day tho. If you have a lil space,The Pyrenees is the best thing to do.Look on craigs list for one. A lot of people get them for lil houses not knowing they will be unhappy. Then they tear a big hole in the couch out of bordem.See how you can find em for free? Mine didnt cost me anything but gas to go get em.They are also GREAT family dogs.Good with kids.

Shooting in the head only works if you know where there brain is an can aim there. For those that are not use to shooting, its probably quicker an more humane to drop the full cage in to a 55 gallon drum full of water an walk away(assuming it fits).

Just put a floor in your coop.
I have had racoons around and see their prints in the snow circling the coop. But my coop is 100% secure and so they have never gotten a chicken or come back in the daytime.

Shoot in the base of the skull pointing forward. One shot should do the job - the gun and ammunition you are using are more than adequate.

Last edited:
Just put a floor in your coop.
I have had racoons around and see their prints in the snow circling the coop. But my coop is 100% secure and so they have never gotten a chicken or come back in the daytime.

The problem with that is that in addition to the chickens that live in the coop, I have 14 birds (geese, turkeys, scovies) that are pure free range. Now they all can fly and take care of themselves but in about a week there are going to be a ton of small ones that can't. I've done what I'm going to do to the coop but what I need here is advice on dispatching the predators around.

Back
Top Bottom