What am I doing wrong?

I have a nice list of changes I can going to try. We are blocking off a couple nesting boxes today. I am putting real marked eggs in there and I will see what happens to them tomorrow. If they are gone, well then I know I have a problem.

Going to boil them up some eggs this morning and offer that with their layer pellets.

Going to get a third feeder for the scratch mixture. The rooster will knock it around and then play with it on the ground I'm sure but I won't mix it with the layer feed for now on so I know how much of that they are getting.

No more fruit for my girls

They get lots of light because of windows in my coop but going to go ahead and set up the light for them.

Cleaned out coop, powdered it and put fresh bedding down and refilled the nesting boxes. ( it was just done but trying to set the egg laying mood after my coaching session yesterday)

Going to talk the hubby into a bit of privacy screen in the run where they all hang out alot so the dogs don't pester them so much.

try feeding crushed red pepper i have heard it works with old hens that have stopped laying maybe it will help with your hens.it did with my pullets

I have March babies in (Buff O, Whyandotte and Dorkings) they are slow maturing birds just recently got my first 2 eggs and thats it. Mine free range and still we have ac running so can't listen for the egg song. One of my old toothless minpins found and egg in the yard. So no telling, they can be sneeky! I would also stop the fruit.

Quote:
I wouldn't bother getting a 3rd feeder for scratch...I would just fill the feeders with pure layer feed. Layer feed is designed to meet all of a hen's nutritional needs.
The grains in scratch feeds are low in protein...the more scratch you feed, the less protein your hens will be getting....which means fewer eggs!!!
hmm.png

View the scratch as a treat. Just throw them a few handfuls per day along with some greens and maybe a little cat food, which is higher in protein.

Keep us updated...hopefully you don't have egg eaters...
fl.gif

Still no eggs. I have been using boiled egg as their new treat. Confirmed no egg eaters and we added a lock on the door just in case a neighbor was taking eggs. Did a super cleaning, super sanitising of the chicken coop just in case they might have mites and the powder wasn't cutting it. A super clean house always makes me feel better, thought it might get them in the mood. Extra light for the coop. Killed the scratch feed, killed the fruit. The only thing I have not done is get rid of the dogs, although in the coming weeks many of them will be moving. Some were only here temporarily until my parents yard was fenced in.

A bit frustrated. I tried talking to them but all that got me was a rooster who thought I came for a fight. He still is showing none of "that kind" of interest in them. I swear they are all males in females clothing because they are not cooperating on this whole laying hens thing. Where are my bloody blue eggs ( not to mention my brown ones).

I am at a loss on what else to do. They aren't molting. They seem super health from everything I have read about chickens. I have no clue whats up.

Have you tried boosting the protein for a couple of weeks?

Get a high protein food and mix it in with the layer, or try small amounts of canned cat food (no chicken!).

Actually I have been doing the cat food thing too although I feel a bit foolish when doing it. My husband made a bit of fun about it. I figured the boiled eggs would up the protein and giving only layer instead of layer and scratch. If it would get me an egg I would give the little freeloaders a steak at this point. Medium rare if they ask nice. Just lay an egg please.

Are you sure they are 35 weeks? Did you buy them from the hatchery or feed store or farmer? My thought is the dogs now are the problem or you have all males again. The fact your roo is showing no interest at all is strange in itself. What brand of layer are you feeding?

Another thing on animals taking the eggs rats will do that and leave no evidance. But look high and low in coop and pen to make sure they are not hiding them. Sometimes they will lay high instead of near the ground. Lift everything too for nests are always under stuff.

Just settle down and try too be patient. Feed them the layer pellets and one day soon if there are any hens, you will have more eggs than you have ever seen. How many hens do you have that you know of. Good luck and I wish you many many eggs

Back
Top Bottom