What am I doing wrong?

FrustratedChickenmomma

In the Brooder
10 Years
Sep 26, 2009
Kentucky
Its been a while since I was on here, my old login just simply would not work. Anywho I am still waiting for eggs. I had a slow start with all male barred rocks and I still have one. My easter eggers are now approx 43 week and still no eggs. My red sexlinks are now 35 weeks and still no eggs.

I am down to 1 rooster, 5 easter eggers and 6 sexlinks. ( no sickness just a stupid chicken eating beagle, and WAY too many roosters that had to have a final conversation with my husband.) I have 6 nesting boxes which is probably too many since all I do is clean poop out of them. Its their favorite place to potty apparently. I use pine shavings and straw for bedding. They have tons of waters available. They are confined because of dogs but lots of space, lots of places to get up high and chill if they want to. some shrubs and trees inside coop that they can perch on, eat on, or just lay under for a nice nap. There are dogs though and the chickens do not like the barking.

They have been fed a layer feed for at least the last 20 weeks. The easter eggers have had it longer than that. They get a scratch feed which the rooster took a liking to. They get vegetables, lots of greens and fruit. They eat far to many apples but they do love them so. They get the oyster shell stuffand grit.

So will all this, what am I doing wrong. I've posted pics to check for gender. I am lost and frustrated. If these do not lay I need to put them on a meat birds feed and have my husband do the dirty deed because I convinced him with pure economical and health reasoning to let me get these. I'm not sure what to try next. All seem to be very healthy, very active. I have had none that died of anything other than dog or husband. Suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a couple questions for you.

Are they free ranged at all? It they are, they may have laid them somewhere were you can't find them.

Are they getting enough protien??? That's a big thing.

And are certain of their age?

If you have any eggs (store bought or others - does not matter), take two or three and mark the end so you know they are "used" eggs and you wont accidently collect them should your hens lay. Put them into your nest boxes - every other one or the like.

I do this for two reasons: seeing the eggs there can help the chickens figure that it is safe and good to lay there - second IF you have an egg eater you will know cause your eggs will be gone by the next day if not sooner.

ETA:
welcome-byc.gif

Last edited:
Stop feeding them apples! Some apples, or a few peels/scraps are one thing, but a lot of apples seems to interfere with egg laying. No idea why, but this is 'old wisdom' that I was taught by an elderly friend, and an aunt long ago.

I'd also block most of the nests, and keep a sharp eye on them as well, because they may be eating eggs and you're not catching them doing it.

//edit// oh, and marking eggs as was mentioned, and putting one or two in the remaining nest box, will also tell you if they're eating them or not. If they are, try using golf balls, (the real kind, not plastic balls or eggs, they are hard and discourage attempted egg eating).

Last edited:
Are you home during the day, to hear any egg songs? I suspect a snake or something is getting your eggs and/or they have been hiding them. Don't forget humans possibly being an egg thief!

I would be sure that at least 90% of what the hens eat is the layer. But I also suspect they are laying elsewhere and/or someone is eating or stealing eggs.

Is it possible that the barking of the dogs is just making them a nervous wreck to where they can't lay? I don't know if a chicken's body works like that... but I would think with the barking barking barking they sense danger. Poor birds have post traumatic stress.

Jenny

Cut out any and all fruit. For some hens it will stop laying altogether. Show people feed fruit to stop laying to keep pullets in feather better since laying drains color. No fruit at all for your hens. that should fix the problem in a month. It will take at least that time to get the emzyns out of their system.

All I can tell you is I have hens much older than yours and only 3 have started laying recently. I have one golden laced wyondote bred by Model Java roo that has finally started laying. I have a beautiful silky hen that lays an egg every other day and another one that is laying in a different part of the coop/run. Her egg is dark brown with speckles all over it. These were all hatched or bought around the same time. At least 3-4 months ago. Maybe longer, I will have too check my log book if DH hasn't moved it which he has moved lots of stuff while I have been on the road the last few days. I have too really watch him with the chickens because he says chickens can have anything and I have too explain everyday NO THEY CAN'T.

Back
Top Bottom