What am I doing wrong?

That crazy @$$ bird is back to pecking. Despite the peeper. She can see where the broody is, especially in her nest, and goes after her. It's not as vicious. But it gets the broody moving. I might not have to break her after all if my Bad Hen keeps her moving.

My birds all need head shrinks.

Sound like a hen intervention is in order. ;) I would take all the mean ones in a crate to a relatives/friends for a week ( without you). Often a serious "timeout" is needed.

I tried to move the broody to a safe area inside the run but she'd have nothing to do with it. She FREAKED!!!

And I had to go out of town last weekend and didn't want to leave the sitter w/ fighting birds. So I left the peeper on the bully. I think she managed to get a few good pecks in at the broody. The broody has a bloody spot on her comb. She could have nipped it on something but my money is on the bully getting a good peck in.

As soon as I got back, I set the dog crate up in the garage on it's side and put the broody in there. 24 hours later I let her free range w/ everyone and the bully left her alone. I'm REALLY hopeful that tonight she's over being broody and I can let her go back in with everyone.

What's really interesting, is I'm convinced that the bully just doesn't want her raising babies. That SHE wants to raise babies. Too bad I'm not ready to brood chicks. I'd be really curious to set the bully down in front of a few babies to see what she does. I know they say that a hen won't take them unless she's been broody. But I'd put money down that she would take them.

She's a very strange little hen. I'm just happy that we got her. Because I think anyone else would have made her Sunday Dinner a L-O-N-G time ago. She's a pill. But deep down, I really do love her.

Back
Top Bottom