what am i? 'duckling' found in garage

chickensioux many many thanks that you have gone to the trouble to do that for me
smile.png
)))))))
little guy is busy causing mayhem..he doesnt like his cage but i dont want to put him in with my young chickens/ducklings for a while until hes been in quarantine for at least 4 weeks..god knows what he may have/had/be carrying
he looks better today, he's washed himself up nicely..shall update with some pics after when OH brings the camera back from work!

Quote:
Those ducks have 4 spots on their backs, this one has 2. Plus the contrast between their dark an light spots is much greater than the contrast on this one. Their lighter areas look white, this one looks yellow or light brown.

Quote:
I totally agree! To me it does NOT look like it has any Muscovy in it at all.. Looks like a Mallard..

The front of the face near the bill doesn't look like a mallard/rouen. It looks chocolatey, which tells me muscovy. It looks like it has 2 eye stripes, which I believe the rouens have (mallards having 1). But there's something about the eye/head that just 'looks' muscovy to me. Plus most wild ducks (mallards included) wouldn't be hatching babies this time of year
smile.png

Quote:
I totally agree! To me it does NOT look like it has any Muscovy in it at all.. Looks like a Mallard..

The front of the face near the bill doesn't look like a mallard/rouen. It looks chocolatey, which tells me muscovy. It looks like it has 2 eye stripes, which I believe the rouens have (mallards having 1). But there's something about the eye/head that just 'looks' muscovy to me. Plus most wild ducks (mallards included) wouldn't be hatching babies this time of year
smile.png

thumbsup.gif
rouens have two eyestripes and possibilities of it being a wild duck are very slim so my vote is some mallard derived breed.

I have hatched alot of Mule ducks.. This just doesnt look like one to me.. Ive had Cayuga Muscovy and Mallard Muscovy Crosses.. This doesnt look like either at all.. But maybe? I had a female mallard that I bought at a swap (I figure they probably caught her) But she has babies wierd times of the year. But it could be a Rouen too.. Just doenst look like a Mule duckling.. I cant wait to see what he is when its grown up!

Quote:
Yeah, actually he looks nothing like young tree ducks.
I dont need pics to tell that, I have kept every species of tree duck there is other than spotted, along with about 90 other wild species. 100% not them.
Like I said eariler, rouen x most likely muscovy only due to the odd face. 100% mallard derived breed, with a touch of scovie duck in it.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom