What am I EE or Ameracuna?

grandmas Nest

In the Brooder
9 Years
Sep 21, 2010
Newcastle, Wy
I believe I am a EE but ower said I was an Ameracuna. I have got so far is green eggs.
68222_chicken_coop_016.jpg
this is the blue one
[IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/68222_chicken_coop_020.jpg

Last edited:
Hello there!

I also was told I was buying Ameraucana chicks, but alas, they are actually EEs. In fact, I have two that look identical to yours. I think they're just gorgous! I'm happy with them even if they are just Easter Eggers. Two of mine lay a very pretty, sea foam green egg, and one lays a pale olive colored green egg.

The thing about the difference between the EEs and the Ameraucanas is the breed standard. If you go look at some of the websites for Ameraucanas (for example, you can Google the Ameraucana Breeder's Club), they have specific colors, and a real specific look to them. The eggs should be pale blue. Leg color, muffs and beards.....just everything have to be just a certain way. So breeders, or people who are really into perfecting that perfect Ameraucana chicken, will right away jump to say "Sorry! It's just an EE!" I do think it's a bit rude at times. Some people can get very snooty about it.

I just love my EEs. I just love any pretty chicken, really, but I do like specific breeds too.
wink.png

So mine are EEs. The lighter colored one is a little tamer than the dark one.What ever they are I really like them the other ones I have are Cinnimon Queens and they really are not very friendly. I keep petting them when I put them in to roost.
hu.gif

They're Easter Eggers.
smile.png

Green eggs, odd colors, leg color other than slate/grey = Easter Egger.

Easter Eggers are chickens who lay colored eggs but either are mutts or just don't fit all the criteria to be an Ameraucana or Araucana.

Ameraucanas are an actual recognized breed who ONLY should lay blue eggs, and only come in 8 recognized colors. Also, they are not sold by hatcheries, feedstores, or your common neighbor. They're sold by reputable breeders who know the differences.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom