What Am I? Mystery from Meyer Hatchery

mkr

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 29, 2011
Hello, any idea what breed this chick might be? It hatched out of a brown egg shipped from Meyer Hatchery. It was a pure yellow chick except for a brown spot on the head. Clean-legged. It started feathering out buff with gray speckles and now it is getting some brownish feathers on the shoulders. Sex-link? Doesn't look much like my other two "red" sex links but I got them from the feed store. Meyer sells "golden" sex link birds and I'm sure uses their own cross.

Here's a picture.

Thanks!

Looking at Meyers list of hatching egg breeds, I'm going to say very smutty Buff Orpington. IF however their assorted hatching eggs includes more breeds than just the other hatching egg breeds list, I have no idea.

I have been looking at Meyers breeds but I can't really make a match...I was also thinking BO but now its getting brownish shoulder feathers...could still be though

I've had lots of their Golden Buff red sex links before and your chick is way too light, same for the New Hampshire. Also those breeds have yellow skin and your chick has white skin like the british breeds. The little head marking is interesting, not common in a solid colored bird. Maybe you just got a "special" buff Orp and she/he will be unique in color. On the Meyer hatchery thread, there is a Brahma that is "special" colored, what a beautiful bird.

. Thanks for the insight abt the golden buffs. I took a closer look just now and the bases of the newest feathers are really dark, almost black...she (I hope) is quite a mystery. I emailed Myer but haven't heard back yet. A unique buff Orpington would be cool.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom