What am I? - Spider -

call a swat team.
yuck
not a spider fan but I don't kill them usually.

he looks deadly scary for some reason...
lol.png

It's a marbled orb weaver for sure, they're really good to have in your garden and take care of a variety of pests. She is beautiful, and it looks like she might have already laid eggs. Marbled Orb Weavers only live for one season, the babies should hatch come spring time but you probably won't see another one again until fall. Don't worry about getting bit they're very reluctant to bite,they're pretty harmless and will most likely try to run away from you rather than get aggressive. Though the Venom is potent, it's not dangerous to humans. It's venom is a neurotoxin similar to the black widow, but no where near as potent. Symptoms are usually negligible or mild local pain, numbness and swelling, with redness and possibly blisters forming. Occasionally nausea and dizziness can occur after a bite. Any pain should go away within 24 hours. Hope that helped with any questions
big_smile.png

And yes I love spiders, I have a rose hair tarantula that likes to hang out on my shoulder
tongue2.gif

That is one freaky looking spider!
ep.gif
Can you imagine finding something like that in your house!
th.gif
I like spiders, but that would be too much.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

The orb weavers are allowed to stay around here. Heck, DH has even "fed" the one that lived in the front yard this summer. He also fixed her web when the dog ran thru one of her anchor strands and broke it. That takes patience X10.

Crawling, sneaky, beady-eyed orbs!

Its not the biting I worry about...its the way they hide everywhere and only pop up at the absolute wrong moment. The way they hide and sneak around. How they can be everywhere and anywhere. I would gladly keep some bugs in trade for spiders. They don't eat nearly enough wasps, bees, hornets and yellow jackets or ants to make up for their creepiness lol

Ok, ok, fine...that icky orb thing is sort of pretty, I guess. Ok thoughts of a thousand little orbites scurrying away from their nest just overshadowed the pretty factor!

What a beautiful spider!! I love having spiders around. We get banana spiders down here. They are so fascinating to watch and have such gorgeous colors and patterns. Plus, they get rid of pesky mosquitos and such!

Yep, it is an orb spider. They don't like to be on the ground, and probably got knocked out of a bush or tree. They make large and beautiful webs- the bad thing is when one walks into one by accident. They are not going to bite a person, only bugs they catch. We have them around here, and only mess with them if the web is in a high traffic area. My daughter will move them with her hands or maybe a stick if it is a really big fat one (they really don't bite people). If one can get past the 'ick it is a spider' part- the orb weavers are very pretty- usually with bright colors and patterns on their backs.

That's a cool spider, I like them too.
smile.png
I always let the orb weaver spiders make their home wherever they want, then they can catch all the flies! In the summer they are ALL over the place, and some of them get HUGE! We call those ones Hugh Jass (You know like on the Simpsons? Hee hee.
lol.png
)

Back
Top Bottom