What am I supposed to do?

SamJB

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
Hope this is the right forum-

So I'm well informed about raising chickens from chicks. I want three chicks, But I can't spend thirty dollars on shipping from mypetchicken! And Ideal Poultry is okay, but there's not much else to buy that's useful other than poultry to spend the minimum 25 dollars. Most online stores have a minimum number of animals to buy to ship. The closest hatcheries in my state are 2 hours away, so I'm in a bit of a pickle. Any advice?

Hi, have you checked your local Craigslist ads? We always have people needing to rehome chicks or chickens
big_smile.png

Most of the hatcheries have a better shipping price on larger orders. Have you considered getting a larger order (25 perhaps?) and selling the ones you don't want to keep, locally? Look on Craigslist and see what chicks in your area are going for, then do the math to see if you can break even or perhaps even make a profit. Doing this worked out very well for me one year when a hatchery had a special that included free shipping. I was able to place the order, keep a few for myself, sell the rest and double my money.

We have a fleet farm, but I wasn't aware they sold the actual chicks, I haven't seen any of them before.

And I have checked craigslist, but not much recently in my area
hmm.png

What state are you in maybe you can find some people online here that would go in on a order with you if you live close enough together. I think I'll be ordering from Ideal when I'm ready, to get to $25 thats only 10 chickens, I only want 3-5 so I'll be selling the rest on craigslist when I get them, may keep a few extra just incase of casualties along the way since I'm new to this and sure to make mistakes and sexing is only 95% there's always a chance of getting a roo when you order pullets.
th.gif

:lol:Good Luck

My local tractor supply branch is 2 hours away also.
hmm.png

I'll call fleet farm, but I'm not sure if they still purchase from hatcheries this late in spring.

You might also talk to the fleet farm and see if they know any breeders in your area. Our only feed store that is still carrying chicks is getting them from a local breeder.

Swope's idea is a good one and it worked for me. I found someone through our local feed store to share an order of chicks with me. 5 for her and 5 for me. We ordered from Mypetchicken so I was able to get all females and exactly the breeds I want.

I found a farm 40 minutes down, and they mostly sell beef but their chicks are hatching soon and the farmer is asking his wife if he can sell them.

Back
Top Bottom