What am I?

0wen

Songster
Mar 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
This 2 guys/girls were in my barred rock mix from Dick Horstman. One is clearly some sort of polish mix mutt, just wondering on gender - guessing she's a pullet, but I've never messed with them to know for sure. Both chickens are around 8 weeks old.

Second has a different comb (rose? cushion?) than the others, so assuming it's some sort of mutt as well? Also, assuming it's a cockerel since comb and wattles are pink at this stage. Maybe a Dominique (never had them to know) - anyway, input is appreciated.

Looks like a barred rock pullet and maybe a polish X black australorp or black giant cross pullet?
I say pullet for the BR because I have some girls that age right now, and their combs don't really look any less red or big compared to yours.

Maybe, out of the dozen - only "her" comb is as pink as the known roosters. Also concerned about the comb style - doesn't seem to be growing into a single comb - looks rose or cushion to me (but I don't have chickens with either of them - just isn't coming in at all like the others in the flock..

Also - all ready relatively aggressive in that s/he is challenging some LF birds that are ~4 weeks older. And s/he is considerably bigger than the other bantam barred rocks - this one is closer in size to some LF chicks the same age (and all ready bigger than a bantam leghorn that is a month older than this chicken)..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom