What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by 0wen, Jul 5, 2016.

1. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    This 2 guys/girls were in my barred rock mix from Dick Horstman. One is clearly some sort of polish mix mutt, just wondering on gender - guessing she's a pullet, but I've never messed with them to know for sure. Both chickens are around 8 weeks old.

Second has a different comb (rose? cushion?) than the others, so assuming it's some sort of mutt as well? Also, assuming it's a cockerel since comb and wattles are pink at this stage. Maybe a Dominique (never had them to know) - anyway, input is appreciated.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. silkiecuddles

silkiecuddles FortheLoveofSilkies

Mar 1, 2015
    Florida
    Looks like a barred rock pullet and maybe a polish X black australorp or black giant cross pullet?
    I say pullet for the BR because I have some girls that age right now, and their combs don't really look any less red or big compared to yours.

3. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    Maybe, out of the dozen - only "her" comb is as pink as the known roosters. Also concerned about the comb style - doesn't seem to be growing into a single comb - looks rose or cushion to me (but I don't have chickens with either of them - just isn't coming in at all like the others in the flock..

Also - all ready relatively aggressive in that s/he is challenging some LF birds that are ~4 weeks older. And s/he is considerably bigger than the other bantam barred rocks - this one is closer in size to some LF chicks the same age (and all ready bigger than a bantam leghorn that is a month older than this chicken)..

Last edited: Jul 5, 2016
  4. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    Polish mix looks like a pullet. I'm not really sure on the other one, but leaning towards cockerel.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by