What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Nyrial, Oct 1, 2009.

1. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    So the subject says it all. I have some guesses, but want some more educated opinions. They were sold as brown egglayers, so that's what confuses me on the white one. These birds are 9-10 weeks old.

The red one please... apologies for the poor lighting, its making her look demonic.

[​IMG]

The other red one

[​IMG]

And the big one in the middle.

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    The red one appears to be a New Hampshire Red, but if she has a beard...

The white one in the second photo appears to be a White Leghorn.

The closest white one in the third photo looks to be a White Leghorn while the one in the back looks to be a White Plymouth Rock, but if it has a rose comb instead of a single, I'd guess Wyandotte.

3. chickenkid68

chickenkid68 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2009
    Wausau, Wis.
    The red one looks almost exactly like my New Hampshire Reds!
    [​IMG]

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    1st pic. Black Australorp, and New Hampshire Pullets 2nd looks to be a production red or red sex-link type 3rd white leghorn and White rock pullets.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    If the white ones have red earlobes, then they are brown egglayers - probably white rocks. The pullet in the bottom pic seems to be larger and has much thicker legs then the rooster next to it. It might be a cornish X.

6. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yeaah, I kinda thought might be A broiler cross, but in a brown egg pack? and I guess there really shouldn't be a leghorn either much less a male. Lets see some more guesses I love doing this.

7. Nyrial

Nyrial Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Lake Stevens, WA
    No no, you are correct, the little white ones are indeed leghorns, I was just asking about the two red ones, and the big white one. Thanks [​IMG]

ETA: The larger pullet in the bottom is actually 2 weeks older than the leghorn next to it as well, so that might help clear up the size difference.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
  8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I whole-heartedly disagree with the Cornish Rock. The legs would be much thicker, head would be much wider and the bird would probably already be having issues walking.

9. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Sorry - I thought they were ALL supposed to be brown egg layers and were all the same age. Looking back, I see that you only asked about 3 chickens.

If the big white one acts just like your other chickens and is able to roost with them than it is probably a white rock and not a cornish X - but if it is lazier than the other chickens and tends to eat way more than they do, it may be a cornish cross.

10. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    I agree with rodriguezpoultry all the way. It just isn’t heavy enough to be a Cornish Rock
    http://www.poultryhub.org/images/thumb/f/f8/Broilers1.jpg/300px-Broilers1.jpg

And due to the color of its legs, it can be cut it down to Wyandotte if it has a rose comb, and White Rock if it has a single comb. I can’t really think of any other breeds that would fit. She looks like a very healthy girl!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by