What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Dumpling, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Dumpling

Dumpling Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    West Tennessee
    Hello everyone. Your knowledge and expertise has been wonderful as I have been lurking around these past few weeks. I am the proud newbie owner of 24 3 week old chicks- black stars, red stars and RIR, as well as this free rare chick. Does anyone know what he/she is? Thanks for your input. [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2008
  2. flyingmonkeypoop

flyingmonkeypoop Overrun With Chickens

Apr 30, 2007
    Deer Park Washington
    I am going to say silver spangled hamburg.

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm going to agree silver spangled hamburg...looks like a rose comb ..you will know for sure if its rose comb and has spikey like points as it grows out and white ear lobes.....

4. IrkanInvader89

IrkanInvader89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Within The Matrix
    Yep, that there is a silver spangled hamburg! They are very attractive when full grown!

5. Dumpling

Dumpling Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2008
    West Tennessee
    Thanks. I have seen photos of them and yes, they are beautiful. When will I know if it is a rooster or hen?

6. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    More than likely it will be a male. Just because hatcheries usually have a surplus of males, the "surprise chick" is one of their ways of relieving some of that surplus. Most people I know who have gotten the "surprise chick," the chick has turned out to be male.

-Kim

7. IrkanInvader89

IrkanInvader89 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2008
    Within The Matrix
    You should be able to tell at around 5 or 6 weeks. However, it sometimes takes a little longer, and sometimes you will know much sooner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by