what am i ????

lobo307

Chirping
8 Years
Feb 21, 2011
can anyone tell me the sex and type of guinea?

80554_2011-05-10_20-00-02_85.jpg

80554_2011-05-10_19-59-50_525.jpg

80554_2011-05-10_19-59-50_525.jpg

sorry about the quality of the pics, ill upload more if i need to

Looks like a sun-bleached Chocolate to me, possibly a Blonde. Does it have any pearling or barring in the flank area and on it's wing feathers?
As far as sex... I can't tell from the pics. I see it has small flat wattles like a Hen should have, but that doesn't always mean it's a Hen. Have you heard the bird buck-wheating? Only females make that 2 syllable call. Also, Hens tend to have a bustle (a raised area on the hind end, between the wings).

no pearl or barring that i can see. ill try to get better pics tomorrow

Ok if there's no pearling or baring at all then I'd guess it to be a Pewter, but different breeders call different colors by different names... lol
idunno.gif

Did you raise it from a keet? If so what did the keet look like? (describe the stripes and colors if you can).

Last edited:
What makes you two so definitively say hen on this bird? It is nearly impossible to determine the sex of a guinea by looks alone. Going by the size of the 'helmet' I would say male, I've not seen any females with such a 'high' helmet. The wattles look rather flat but they don't look like a hen's. I have some males with flat wattles but the shape of them is different.

Quote:
Depending on the age of this bird, it could be an older Hen with a well developed helmet/casque. I've seen some pretty tall helmets on some older Hens, and I attribute that to being controlled by genetics. I can't tell from these pics, but the nostrils on a female Guinea Fowls are less prominent than on the males. And as mentioned before I do not see a bustle. I have 25 Hens, from 3 different blood lines, they ALL have the bustles on their hind ends that I mentioned. Their wattles vary too (another characteristic controlled by genetics), they all are flat in my flock, but some are different shapes. Some rounded, some are pointed etc. And I have seen Hens with very cupped large wattles, like a male. Also, the female Guinea Fowl's stance is not as upright as that of the male, and this Guinea looks like it's standing especially tall, long and lean like a male in the first pic, but not so much in the 2nd pic. I am leaning towards male at this point tho, but I need better pics to give a more definitive opinion. Hopefully lobo posts some more pics... or confirms that the bird makes the Buck-Wheat call.

Back
Top Bottom