What am I?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ChickenDal, Aug 14, 2014.

1. ChickenDal

ChickenDal Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2011
    My wife bought these two home from an auction.any ideas??[​IMG]

2. I believe that those are Dark Cornish bantams.

- BantamLover55

3. ChickenDal

Nov 3, 2011
    They have feathers starting to grow on their legs.i no nothing about Cornish!!thanks Bantamlover55!

4. Leg feathers, hmm... [​IMG] Maybe a Cornish mix? Cornish are not supposed to have leg feathers.

5. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    well, the guy in front is definitely a rooster...can you try to get some better pics of each bird individually?

6. I agree!

7. ChickenDal

Nov 3, 2011
    I'll get some better pics today.yeah he crows already! They were in a wood crate and auctioned off as marans.when we opened the crate we knew better but for $5 who cares!

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Dark Cornish bantams or mixes of Dark Cornish. Some clean legged birds will develop small feathers on their legs (called "stubs"). It is usually a sign of poor breeding, or interbreeding clean legged breeds with feather legged breeds. I'm not seeing any characteristics of Maran's, except for the small feathers.

9. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Dark Cornish bantams to me, too. Wyandottes7 is right that the feathers you see growing are probably "stubs." That would disqualify them at a poultry show, but doesn't necessarily mean they aren't really Dark Cornish.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by