What are any advantages of this bitter cold we're getting?

Sorry folks , I do not envy any of you with snow and ice . Not into shoveling .

But , no more flies and no mosquitos , and the big reason to say
wee.gif
: celebrate ,

once cold fronts start , no more hurricanes ....
thumbsup.gif

When it is really cold like today you can go grocery shopping and leave the groceries in your car while you do other things without worrying about them and if you leave a soda in the car it is still cold when you get back....that is unless it freezes.
smile.png

Quote:
Wait a minute - I thought you were supposed to come up here to spend your dollars skiing!
tongue.png

I come from Utah originally... graduated from the University of Utah... close to many ski resorts. Never went skiing once.

I hate the cold and I really hate snow. Guess I picked the right place to live.

And my chickens are loving the cooler weather... but they went from a dozen eggs yesterday to 3 today. What's up with that?

Quote:
Gee, that's pretty abrupt...you don't think they suddenly noticed how dark and short the days have gotten, sort of a delayed reaction...or chicken denial?
As for any thoughts of skiing, it's forget it for any sport that moves faster than I can think. What remains is x-country skiing (mainly flat surfaces) and snowshoeing. And going to the mailbox.
Hey, here's another bitter cold break: it creates one heck of a draft when you're building a fire in the woodstove! (can you smell the nice, woodsy smell?)

Quote:
Heck yeah! That's one advantage I enjoy immensely (no mosquitoes, either!). Too bad it's too cold to go eat out on the deck now.

The cool air always wakes me up in the morning. It feels fresh and clean. It's cold enough to make rock candy and bake lots of goodies. The summer makes it too hot to slave away in front of the stove.

Hot chocolate...Fires in the fireplace...Christmas carols...
Cardinals in a snow-covered pine tree...

What's not to love? Hee hee.

Our 'cold' (NC) and your cold are different! I start to hibernate at around 60* and it's been "bone chillin' weather" (20* at night and 40* during the day) here for almost two weeks--we have even had snow flulliers twice, breaking or setting records. Our cold weather is usually Jan. and Feb. NOT Nov. I love the cold IF I can stay at home, sip hot tea or cocoa and read or even clean house. I hate going from a warm house, to a cold car, to a hot store, to a cold car, to a warm house.. etc!

It is the easiest time of the year to clean out the coop. (Provided you have had adequate snow which is never a problem around here). Simply spread a small tarp outside the door and heave the stinky shavings/straw out the door onto the tarp. Once loaded, slide it on the snow sled-style to an area of your choosing. WAY easier than the wheelbarrow!

NO MORE FLIES, it was a really bad year regarding cluster flies in the house, forget the coop... THERE WAS LIKE ONE IN THE COOP, and like a billion in the house -_-

Back
Top Bottom