What are bantys good for?

Black sex links are a clean legged bird i guess i missed that part of post, but you must admit they are very very close.

AL

Unless you are eating them, I don't see where bantams are any less valuable than larger chickens. If you get the right breed, they lay well, and I like the smaller eggs. They are just the right size for me-I get tired of the taste if I try to eat a large egg. People love when I give them the eggs because it's something different form what they are used to seeing. Because they are smaller, they are easier to house. They still create plenty of mulch and fertilizer just like larger birds do. They make WONDERFUL broody hens, so I would keep a couple around as broodies even if I raised large birds. I really don't see any drawback to bantams at all unless you are looking for meat birds. I don't eat meat, sp that's not an issue for me.

Quote:
Well , I have a full flock of different breeds .

RIR's , barred rocks , Austrolorps . Just hubby arrived about a month ago and had been given 8 of what he was told were bantams .

I can tell there are many different kinds of bantams .They are SO precious . Was just wondering what kind . and what ages do they start laying , ETC.

Someone wanted to see a pic of my tall Langsan roo (who I swear is like the Yao Min of the chicken world!
cool.png
)

So here he is in his glory, watching over his girls. Don't know if you're familiar with Golden Wyandottes, but that's what the hen is standing next to him and she's a 4 y.o. and a pretty huge hen. Gives you and idea of how tall he is!

Quote:
Yes, she is. The hen in the foreground of that pic is also 4 and she's still laying, as well. Somedays we have six eggs and there are six hens.
smile.png
Mostly, I just think they're pretty. My preferrence is Speckled Sussex- that's what the rest of the flock is - they're 2 year olds. We used to have more before a predator was getting to them (I think a hawk) while they free ranged during the day. Now we only let them out for a few hours now and again.

We're raising up a new generation of Black Stars at this point. I would've liked to have SS pullets, but these were such a good deal and I've heard great things about this breed, so I was happy to give them a try.

I love my bantys! They are so much fun to have, the hens lay great and are great broodies. I think that for people who are interested in keeping birds for fun and for egg production for themselves, they are a great choice. They are so entertaining and fun to look at. I have a few full sized birds and they just are not as fun to me, except for my barred rock. Some people raise birds for meat and eggs and others like me, like to think of them more as pets. Just different interests thats all!
smile.png

i just ordered buff orpington bantams, and was really thinking i should have went with the standard buff orpington. but the eggs and entertainment are really all im looking for. recon how many of these eggs would equal a large or extra large egg?
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom