What are bantys good for?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by klf73, Aug 4, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Ok, before I get flamed here, hear me out. My dh is great with my hatching addiction. He is neither fond of chicken meat or eggs, so this is all for me and the kids. I HAD to have silkies, I wanted some friendly, soft, adorable birds. The eggs will be small, very broody, so not many eggs I've read. What other reasons are there to have bantys? I have mutts and Ameraucana for laying and am getting some BC Marans hatching eggs in a couple of weeks. My dh wants to know what the "little chickens" are good for? Would like any opinions.....
    Krista

2. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    They're cute - isn't that enough?

[​IMG] Kids love them, they can be kept in smaller coops, the tiny eggs are kinda cute.... other than that - well they're CUTE (did I say that already?)

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Isn't being cute, laying a few eggs and going broody now and again good enough? [​IMG]

4. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] great minds think alike! [​IMG]

5. ThreeBoysChicks

ThreeBoysChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Thurmont, MD
    I have three Silkies and one Cochin Banty that are all of laying age. For thest last 2 months, I have been averaging 3 or 4 eggs per day. Enought that our family pretty much each nothing but banty eggs. We have our standard girls which lay the big eggs, but we sell those for $2 / dozen which helps to offset the feed bill.

And of course, they are so cute!!!!!!!!

6. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    They have entertainment value. [​IMG]

7. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    They make great chicken nuggets or single serving meals. [​IMG]

Their eggs cook up just like regular chickens, the ratio is 1.5 bantam eggs to 1 standard egg (roughly). You can eat bantams, just not as much meat as standard chickens. They cost less for upkeep (consume less food & water than standards), and they're compact so you don't need as much room as you would with standard birds. [​IMG] They also tend to be a lot more people friendly, probably because they're not so daunting as the larger birds so people are more apt to "play" with them.

8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    also, bantams are awesome foragers...they will seriously do some work in the yard if you put a tractor out!

9. sara

sara Title Needed Here

The roosters have adorable crows! [​IMG]

10. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I agree with ChickenGurl [​IMG]

I've raised bantams and I think they are just as the same as the LF however the eggs are smaller but yolks make up majority of the space inside of egg and not much whites. Meat is also delicious and smaller than the LF. Great for soups....think of mini Cornish hens! Great for crock pot size!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by