What are ducks good for?

Will ducks eat the garden like a chicken would or do they just eat the weeds? I hear geese just eat the weeds. You have to get their wings clipped so they don't fly away right? How high can they jump/fly after this?

What are ducks good for? Not trying to sound mean. I really am curious.
My soul! Oh yeah and what everyone else said
highfive.gif
the ducks and geese eat most anything green also. about 3feet If you clip one wing less than that because they are unbalanced.

Last edited:
So all of you have made me want a duck now!!! Can they be kept with the chickens and eat the same food? I have heard stories like this but want to make sure my duck(if I were ever to get one) happy and healthy. So they need a watering hole to splash around in?

So all of you have made me want a duck now!!! Can they be kept with the chickens and eat the same food? I have heard stories like this but want to make sure my duck(if I were ever to get one) happy and healthy. So they need a watering hole to splash around in?
One duck won't be a happy duck. At least 2 is best. They may be able to be with the chickens. Yes they eat the same food, starter first. Yes they need water, a kiddie pool will suffice.

Research their care before deciding for sure. Ducklings are adorable but have some special care requirements and shouldn't be jumped into. Go through the stickies at the top of the forum. You need to decide what you want out of a duck and narrow down to a breed and decide on genders and where you will buy them. Gather your brooder supplies and get your ducklings.

Research, research, research.

Yes of course! RESEARCH! You all seem so happy. One day when I live on some property I will get some ducks. For now just gonna figure the chicken thing out.

I have runners. They aren't great fliers. They try every morning on the way to the pond, but they only get a few inches off the ground and maybe 10-15' before their toes are dragging and they just run the rest of the way. I'm not sure if my welsh harlequin gets off the ground. She tries, but doesn't often succeed.

Yes, they can be kept together as long as you manage the water (at least when cooped). Ducks are waterfowl. They love their water. Everywhere.

I'm about to embark on a mixed flock of chickens and ducks. Trying to locate the chicks I want, but will only be 2-4 of the chickens. They will be housed separately for the start and may integrate them into the duck house after they are introduced to the ducks. The duck house was built with room for some chickens.
Mine will all be girls, so I won't have to worry about an over loving drake mating with the chickens.

Yes, good advice jydwntr. There are some good websites for information (many from BYC members, read the stickys at the top), Mother Earth News, and the book, "Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks" when you really get serious about ducks.

One duck won't be a happy duck. At least 2 is best. They may be able to be with the chickens. Yes they eat the same food, starter first. Yes they need water, a kiddie pool will suffice.

Research their care before deciding for sure. Ducklings are adorable but have some special care requirements and shouldn't be jumped into. Go through the stickies at the top of the forum. You need to decide what you want out of a duck and narrow down to a breed and decide on genders and where you will buy them. Gather your brooder supplies and get your ducklings.

Research, research, research.
goodpost.gif

I have 6 ducks- 2 Black Swedish drakes, 1 White Runner drake, 1 Pekin hen, and 2 Muscovy hens.
One of our Muscovy hens will take care of anything, if you give her ducklings or chicks, she'd turn into there momma right away. Most of my females like to cuddle, except my Pekin.
The drakes don't really benefit us in any way, except they're hilarious and amusing. They mostly won't let you hold them (you need a net to catch them), chase my poor Silver Spangled Hamburg cock around, and are LOUD when they talk to each other.
If you were to ever get ducks, you need to know one thing: they DIG. In the summer, I always find some holes where they had pushed their beaks into the soil and used it like a shovel to make a hole. The drakes are especially funny when they do this (another thing to add to the list of amusing things they do) because they come up to there eyes in dirt.
And like jdywntr said, one duck won't be a happy duck. They are very social animals, and need a friend. My neighbor once had just one duck, and it died 1 month after he bought, I guess because he was lonely. Always have more than one duck!

Hope this helps!
~ Snugbug :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom