1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are eggs worth?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by clawmute, Sep 18, 2008.

1. clawmute

clawmute Out Of The Brooder

OK, compared to store bought eggs (yuk! which are pitiful - even those that advertise to be the best) - home grown eggs are superb. What are they worth per dozen on the market? Eating type eggs that is, I have never sold any for hatching.

What are your eggs worth? With the price of feed increasing almost daily, just getting some of your feed money back and having all the eggs you want is not bad. Whats your opinion, do you win or lose on your chicken's egg production? I wonder how much prices vary across America?

2. tinners204

tinners204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2008
    Iowa
    $1.50 a dozen is what they are going for in south central Iowa.

3. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    They're up tp $3.00/doz at the farmers market, but the so called "free range" eggs from the store are up to as much as $6/doz in health food stores and $4/doz at regular stores. But we all know that the commercial version of free range isn't really free range, so ours are worth a lot more even if the chickens only have a 10sq foot per bird area with no grass and just bugs (mine eat the poop out of the grass and it's gone within a week, so I gotta throw clippings in there instead)

4. stacym

stacym Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2008
    Kennard, Nebraska
    Am currently selling for $2.00 a doz in Omaha Ne. for farm fresh brown eggs. Also, have a waiting list for those who want to get eggs from us. Building a good base of loyal customers,treating them right and representing yourself correctly helps.
    Funny thing is a lot of the customers live on farms. They don't want to mess with chickens! Go figure!

5. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Im up to $3.00 a dozen for bantam eggs, and large eggs mixed.

6. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Medium eggs are $1.78 /doz in Nova Scotia but with feed costs escalating I think it's about to rise.

7. clawmute

clawmute Out Of The Brooder

THANKS & A TIP OF MY EGG CARTON FOR YOUR KIND REPLIES!

[​IMG]

8. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    Looks like it varries wildly depending on where you are in the country. We sell ours for $4 a dozen and I am thinking about raising it because feed costs are on the rise. In our area, organically fed and free range adds considerable value. People want and are willing to pay for a more sustainable and healthy egg.

9. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    Wel, what they are WORTH is totally different than what they sell for! [​IMG]
    I actually sold my first dozen today for $3.00. I priced brown "cage free" eggs at the grocery store, and they were $2.59, so I figured that 3 dollars was a reasonable price. Because we all know that cage free doesnt mean they are free range, or even that they see the outdoors at all.
    Now, I don't buy the feed- DH does, but I am willing to bet there is a very small profit, if any, even though my birds free range all day.

10. Jessika

Jessika Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Eagle Creek, OR
    I am getting 4.00 a dozen. I even argue about it being to much but I keep hearing "I pay more than that a new seasons and yours are much better" LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by