1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What are "Gold sex links"?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sticksoup, Feb 27, 2009.

1. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Hi- I'm trying to find a chick to go with my chick Buff Orpington. Our local feed got in some chicks today and described breed as 'Gold sex link'. Can anyone help me with what that is? Do you think it would be an okay pair for my buff? They also have Americauna (or EE- whatever)- would that be a better choice? Please help!

2. Kelpie

Kelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Charles Town, WV
    I think they are one and the same as golden comets which are new hampshire x white rock. I had a comet who was my orp's BFF before she fell prey to a fox. She was the sweetest! You should get some, they are some of the best layers too.

3. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not necessarily the same cross as golden comets--but it will be similar. Could be RIR instead of NHR; could be a different white than rock.

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Gold sex-links are a lighter version of the red sex-link. They have used Buff Orp x some other breed in order to get the lighter "buff" or gold color. They have probably been crossed with Rhode Island White or Delaware.

5. scgamecock

scgamecock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Conway SC
    Gold Sex Link's are from Ideal and are a cross between RIR and RIW.I have several and they are excellent layers and are an attractive looking hen.

6. sticksoup

sticksoup Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Bradenton
    Thank you everyone! Good info!!

**Best people are chicken people [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by