What are good weights for jumbo coturnix hen and roo?

Quote:
I need to wiegh mine they are 5 weeks old and it would really surprise me if they did not weigh 7-10 oz. lil chunky butts they are . what kind of scales does everyone use for this?

I plan on getting or making a small carry type cage to hold them in and a digital scale from walmart. We already have the scale.

i use a scale i got at walmart its for the kitchen its digital and used for light weight measuring and gos up in 0.1 oz to 3 pounds as far as the jumbo brown i started over and got new stock they are 4 weeks old , a 12oz bird i thank is a good starting point keep culling and keeping the best, buy a few eggs from 16oz birds if they get that big good if close use they as some new blood lines maybe a cross of yours and theirs will make a bigger bird

pop.gif

I use little, like 5 quart rubbermaid containers with lidsand a digital postal scale. Zero scale with the tote on it. Put quail in and quickly close lid. Works great.

Quote:
I love it. LOL

Our first Jumbos are at 5 weeks now. When mature, I'll weigh them and post. Some are definately bigger than others. My plan was to use the largest for breeding.

I'll do the same. Mine were 4 oz to 6.4 oz at 17 days old. I'll weigh them again when (if) I wing band them. It will be easy to keep track of them them. When I weighed them before I just used the digital scale I use for my Seramas. I didn't put them in anything. I just held them until they calmed down (a few seconds) then placed them on the scale, no problem
idunno.gif
They let us pick them up, so it wasn't a big deal.

Quote:
Exactly. I cant wait for mines to get up in age so I can post there weights and see which if any of the breeders I hatched eggs from have those big birds they claim.

Back
Top Bottom