What are my 2 roosters and 1 hen?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by schatze, Sep 13, 2014.

1. schatze

schatze Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    They all appear to now be fully grown, and Joke is laying.

Joke (the hen), Dagger (the white rooster), and Valentino (the gray rooster) I got at the same time. Joke was supposed to be a roo but fooled everyone. The place where I got them had no idea what they are--they take in unwanted fowl, and these 3 were from a group of about 30 that were brought in.

Joke: black, bearded, feathered legs and feet, lays a pinkish brown egg:
    (that brown spot on her is just some trick of the light, she's all black)

[​IMG]

Dagger: was completely white as a small roo, his tail has since changed, bearded, 5 toes on each foot, feathered legs and feet. Very sweet natured and likes to cuddle.

[​IMG]

Valentino: gray with a slight coppery overtone that can be seen in direct sunlight. He crows a lot. REALLY likes ducks and routinely tries to mate with them over any chicken. It's hard to get a picture of him not crowing or mounting a pekin.

[​IMG]

2. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    Top 2 look like crosses, could be favorelle in there somewhere perhaps, and your bottom one looks just like a lavender orpington, but I can't say a pure as I've seen cross bred chickens that look to be pure but don't breed as such.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    The first two likely have some Faverolles heritage, he has the fifth toe and light skin. It's a ways back, to have such light leg feathering. Other than that, and the grey rooster, they're mixed enough no specific breed stands out. And no offense, but the bottom bird looks nothing like an Orpington, they're supposed to be round and fluffy, not built like this.

4. Firekin1

Firekin1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2014
    Nova Scotia
    [​IMG]
    Lavender orpington roo

[​IMG]
    Lavender orpington hen...you're right...there doesn't appear to be any resemblance [​IMG]

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Agreed.

6. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    the american style arent as fluffly, esp if they have hatchery breeding in them.

Either way, the last is pure for the lavendar gene at least, it is a recessive gene, so both parents had to have at least one copy for it to show.

7. holm25

holm25 Jr Chicken Wrangler

Apr 6, 2014
    MN
    X2

8. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2 on this advice.

9. PoultryQueen101

PoultryQueen101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2014
    Middle-East Ohio
    The first bird appears to have traits of austrolorps, easter eggers/maybe ameraucana, and/or maran.

If that is true,
    The beard could be from either an easter egger or ameraucana
    the feathered legs could be from maran crossing, and the
    comb and body structure could be from an austrolorp,

No matter what, im almost positive the first two have more than 2contributing breeds. But if you do some reasearch, there might be a breed that looks likd the third... he looks so familiar. There are plenty of rare breeds out there...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by